Originally Posted By: thursday
perhaps one more week

I would say this weekend would be fine to hit Zao up. It is snowing quite heavily here in Shonai, so I imagine Zao will be getting some of that love about now. We have had about 30cm's in the last 12 hours and I live on the beach!

It has taken a while, but the season has finally started!
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone may think we got lots and lots of snow yesterday from the news, but we didn't. Too cold? wink Other areas of Yamagata did get a lot, but perhaps 10cm at the most here on the mountain. Resort remains only very small part open.

ILoveZao_312.jpg

ILoveZao_311.jpg

Originally Posted By: charlotte
Does Zao get many good clear days generally?

Certainly not too many days like the photo above. I have been to Zao about fifteen times over the last three years and I have only seen it like the photo above twice.

I find the weather changes quite quickly on Zao, so you have to keep your wits about you, eg, in the morning the weather is fine and then suddenly by mid-afternoon it is -15.

The weather on the mountain is very changeable, you can experience all sorts just within a short period of time. Unfortunately not everyone will get to see the beauty of the area and you should really think yourself lucky when you get one of the lovely blue sky days.

Thinking of heading up to Zao for 4-5 days boarding. Does anyone know if they charge for parking near the lifts? A Japanese friend told us that last year it was 1000yen per day to park up there!

I have been to loads of resorts around Japan and never had to pay anything to park. Being a tight git from Yorkshire I consider free mountain parking to be one of the joys of geting out of the city!

An extra 5k yen added on the the costs of going boarding, just for parking would be the nail in the coffin for me.

I think you will find that it is 1000 yen on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays. Weekdays are free.

I think most resorts used to charge 1000 yen a day even on weekdays. Gradually it because free on weekdays and now many are free each day. But the norm used to be 1000 yen.

Hey Big Wil,

have you been up there this year yet?

can anyone shed any light on free places to park?

In a strange way i would rather pay an extra 1200yen for a lift ticket than pay to park the car miles from anywhere!

It must be my Yorkshire blood!