Hello

I want to say hello to all the people using this website. It is impressive to see such thing in English covering so much information and so many people. I have worked in Japanese ski industry for many years now since college now I work for a ski resort in Nagano. [i don't really want to mention name right now!]

I was wondering about my resort and this website. Until now we did not really try to get foreign skier and snowboarder come our hill but I am personally interested. My management maybe not so sure right now but they can see success in another region for example Niseko and with less Japanese perhaps we should try to do it.

This site looks like such perfect place for put information but how do I do it? We don't really have money but wondering what I can do and who to contact about it. Sorry for strange question and hope you can understand.

I hope to see more foreign and also Japanese people on the ski hills this winter. Lets hope much snow!

• SnowJapan Admin

Hello resortguy and welcome to the site. It's very good to hear from you.

There are a few things that you can do and things that do not cost any money at all, perhaps just a bit of your time.

For example, if I were working at a ski resort - or a hotel or other related business for that matter - and wanted to get my resort noticed, here's what I would do:

• I would upload some photos to SnowJapan regularly. When a new photo is uploaded, not only are people getting to see the resort but the photo gets to the top of the pile so to speak. Photos are also linked up to resort pages and are accessed from a variety of different places within the site. As long as the photo or the caption doesn't come across as promotion/advertising, you are very welcome to do that.

• I would vote for the weather at your resort a few times a day using our new functionality on the site. When a resort has votes for a day, it gets listed in the daily chart page and remains in the archives - so once again that resort is getting more coverage within the site. Take a look at this following page:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/A_TO_Z_ResortVoteChart.php?caldate=2009-10-26

The resorts that have votes are listed in the chart, complete with link to their info page and other information. If there are no votes for a resort, it doesn't get on that page.

As long as you vote for the actual weather and don't post misleading info (!), we actively encourage you to do that.

• I would take part in these forums and get involved... and take part in lots of discussions, rather than just ones about my resort. Perhaps post some of the photos you have uploaded to the site on the Forums, etc.

You might see a pattern there - basically as long as your contributions don't come across as being part of some marketing campaign, you are very welcome to join in.

There are other things that we could do and it is probably best to speak about those off the Forums. Please feel free to email us at editor@snowjapan.com [in Japanese or English] and my colleague who has a lot of experience working and advising ski resorts will get back to you. We are always very keen to hear from resorts that actively want to attract English-speaking guests and try to support them in that goal. That is after all part of our goal as well.

I hope to hear from you and all the best with preparations for the new season.

• SnowJapan Admin

No, not at all. Why would we? The more the better for everyone.

Just as long as they don't come across as promotion/advertising, that's all we ask.

friend

ResortGuy, hope you don't mind if I give a little advice. If you really want to make a go of it and break into the foreign market then I'd suggest your resort look at hiring a foreigner who is bilingual who has some marketing experience/qualifications to develop a marketing strategy specifically aimed at the foreign market.

What we have found in Niseko is that the needs and wants of the foreign market are quite different to the domestic one and certainly the marketing needs to targeted to those needs and wants. It would really help to have someone with experience doing that.

You'll also want to create a good english website and make it easy for people to book your accommodation who have no Japanese skills whatsoever.

Getting involved with this website is certainly a great first step. Good luck!

Hello thank you. I think it is good idea. But maybe still early and it's like my crusade! I don't know how my manager will react.

I want to say thank you very much to the man who replied my mail by calling. We had very good talk. I was very impressed how I feel this site people wanted to help with advice and ideas without some kind of sales talking. That attitude I think is rare, but create very good impression.

I will try to do my best. In the meantime I will take part and keep in touch here. Thank you.