For me there's 2 things that I just won't consider - if a place doesn't have a bathroom/toilet with the room and if it's not got wifi, it doesn't get my booking.

What's about yous?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
you can request twins or doubles or queens or kings. If it only has twins, then you just need to hop in and out.

are you talking male bonding thurs?
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
my last accommodation cost me A$1200/night. we aren't particularly choosy, honestly lol

Good god! Where were you? Dubai?

Although having said that our accommodation at Qualia, Hamilton Island is pretty exy. But it is the old boys 40th.
Originally Posted By: thursday
you can request twins or doubles or queens or kings. If it only has twins, then you just need to hop in and out.

In every hotel and pension, that?

And...and...and...and... I don't want TWINS!

In town, no internet, no car park would put me off. Cheaper the better. No smoking room please.

In a resort, no private bath/toilet/internet okay if it has atmosphere. I'd much rather stay in a b&b with character than in a Travelodge. Same in Japan. A minshuku with good food would beat a hotel/pension with private bathrooms. In Japanese resort accomodation, pokey bath in room will go unused.

Last two holidays I had with my parents and my wife/kids, I booked into a rented apartment and a rented house. For a group, its much better than a hotel. Hanging out in a living room beats hanging out in a lobby or a hotel room by miles. Having a proper kitchen too is great.

Not too fussy myself, I have stayed in some incredibly cheap and rather disgusting places over the years so I don't need much to be reasonably happy. Here in Japan, especially in winter, I just need to be able to control the heating as pretty much every hotel, pension, ryokan I've stayed in has been way too hot for me. I also like to be able to open a window for fresh air.

Can't stand the super thin futons in the Ryokans / minshikus - ok if you weigh a couple of stones maybe! And the pillows full of broken bricks, how anyone can sleep on those pillows is beyond me.

If it wasn't for the terrible matresses at the ryokans, I would much prefare to stay there than a hotel more often, they have so much more charm / individuality abouth them.

I agree with GN the hotels really do crank the heating up in winter, the hotels are usually like saunas, don't know how many times I have had to open the window on a night where it is minus outside, because so hot in the room.

Slow replies to question and emails.

Oh and toilet.

Everything else is ok.

No wifi? ITS A HOLIDAY

No internet? ITS A HOLIDAY

Getting my point?

A holiday means I want to get away from the world and the shit it brings with it.

A phone line would be great if travelling overseas but in Japan this is pretty much a given.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
my last accommodation cost me A$1200/night. we aren't particularly choosy, honestly lol

Good god! Where were you? Dubai?

Although having said that our accommodation at Qualia, Hamilton Island is pretty exy. But it is the old boys 40th.

that was ski-in-ski-out at thredbo, the snow isnt as good in Dubai!!

I can't stand dirty rooms, or ones with no seperate Non-smoking. None of my family or I are smokers, but most of the family gets asthma/bad sinus of some description. It turns us into a room of snorers..

Craptastic food/service is also a turn off. It's the reason why we aren't staying at the Sunroute in Ichinose next year. The food for breakfast wasn't fresh, and the ladies serving it were rather rude.

1. Overheating - you then open the window and wake up cold

2. Lack of Ofuro / onsen on premises (this is surely a "must" for any ski hotel / ryokan)

3. Crappy food and / or stingy portions - we had a bad experience at Ichinose once as well - a few pickles, an emaciated, dried-up little chunk of grilled salmon and a bowl of rice is not sufficient breakfast for a day on the slopes in sub-zero temps...

SdS

Our experience in Europe is satisfactory except :

When you book into a place try and make sure there are other guests staying because

1) They are not going to heat up the place when you are the only guest there and maybe give you a undersized electric fan heater

2) Also the breakfast buffet is not as glorious

We do have to request bath in the room because not all room/venue have it.

Nearly most places do not have tea making equipment (electric kettle) so we take our own travel kit. When we are travelling by car we have electric heater, hairdryer, snowboard repair kit, food utensils...

Ah, yes. Instant coffee. That really annoys me. Tea bags. I'm ok with it now, but why can't people brew tea with loose leaf?