FEATURE : Is spring season the start or the end? (The Setting Journals)

A new Setting Journals feature, "Is spring season the start or the end?", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-10.html

"Wow, has it ever been an exciting white season! In my humble opinion, there’s enough ongoing drama at a winter resort each white season to keep even soap opera hounds happy - only now am I beginning to have the opportunity to reflect on all that has happened over the past six months. As I begin once again to take every other Sunday off (at time of writing) for the first time since autumn of last year, my mobile phone is quieter, temperatures warmer, snow is softer, and the days are longer. What is happening?"

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-10.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Hi Dale

Yes, it is nice to be able to be a bit more proactive instead of reactive. There is still lots to do, but it is more "9 to 5" style.

Thanks for showing an interest in reading about resort operations - we're going to do our best to bring more columns to you in the future as well.

Blair.

Hi Kobet

Winter workers at ARAI usually do one of three things during the green season:

1. Stay on at the resort and help out with green season operations;

2. Return to their home towns; or

3. Travel overseas for boarding and the like.

Oblivion

Wages for winter workers at resorts in my opinion are at the subsistence level; However, generally most folk come for the snow as opposed to cash. In Canada and other parts of the world, I understand the situation to be quite similar.

Blair.

About wages ski resorts under pay its the way. If you want to get paid you cant ski everyday. Cat drivers make it good if they stay at it. but unless you can run the backhow on the summer then you only work a few monthes a year at full pay. http://www.powdermag.com/pollsquizes/duelingbanjos1/

There is a link to a poll about bad wages.

Blair I still think a good izakaiya and a hostel would do well at Arai.

Hello

Ocean 11 & Shatterhand

I'd love to get out more during the season, but there is just too much that requires my attention in the village. As I've said before, some days it is difficult even getting to my desk, let alone out on the mountain. When I do get to my desk, there is always e-mail that has come in overnight which is waiting to be answered.

Basically, instead of getting out on the mountain myself more (like I used to do in the past), I get alot of pleasure from watching others get out there and enjoy themselves

(while knowing that I played a small role in making it all happen).

Fattwins

Though I cannot speak too much along the lines of a hostel, ARAI does have a Japanese restaurant called Nenohi that features an Izakaya style atmosphere(Nenohi is the name of our in-house Japanese Sake).

Blair.

Blair, I think the point was that everything is so damn expensive.

That Nenohi, it's hardly what you'd call an izakaya (the kind we all know anyways), is it? And there was hardly anyone in the one time we went and considered it. We ended up driving out to a local famiresu.

Hi HoTRoD

Before I came to Japan, I was in the restaurant business for five years in Canada. During that time, my thinking changed quite dramatically from, "How can anyone in their right mind charge Cdn $ 20.00 for a steak?" to "How can Cdn $ 20.00 cover all of the overhead involved in delivering that steak to the customer?". To this day, I still have trouble seeing how restaurants make money.

All restaurants are not the same, and having washed dishes in Nenohi on several occasions, I can say from experience that the overhead in that restaurant is astronomical. Nenohi offers

freshly prepared dishes using top of the line fresh ingredients, despite the fact it is located on a mountain that receives a great deal of snow. It caters to guests that wish to enjoy a decent Japanese meal without leaving their hotel.

I agree that you can get dinner at a family restaurant for less than at Nenohi; However, in my mind the quality, ambience, experience, cleanliness and convenience are of a different standard.

Blair.

Thanks for replying Blair!

I am sure the costs are high. That is not being disputed here.

But that brings us back to the main point.... why not have a cheaper, local-style izakaya at Arai that would not only be more popular and always be busy and cater to all those people that don't want to spend 5000 yen each on dinner - AND it would cost far less to run.

It seemed to me, and apparently other people, that Arai does not have any reasonably priced eating places (or stay places) to choose from - driving people out of the resort area to get their dindins.

As for atmosphere - well, as I said, when we went there was 1 small group in there - it was dead. And that was a Friday night in January at eating time. eek.gif

Blair you do well in your defense.

I will lobby for a cheaper place as long as there is someone who will listen, and blair you do take the time to listen, so thanks.

Im of the mind that if I budget well I can ski a lot of days without going bankrupt. I like to save money. I dont change that frame of mind even during ski season. I perfer quanity of ski days to the quality of my hotel and food, thats me. I like to have a nice beer 500yen isnt too expensive. Its close to the same price as Canada.

I think Arai positons itself as a highend place and thats fine.

Quote:
Originally posted by HoTRoD:
why not have a cheaper, local-style izakaya at Arai that would not only be more popular and always be busy and cater to all those people that don't want to spend 5000 yen each on dinner
Probably because then no one would go to the over-priced...or should I say "high overhead" restaurants that make up that place.

My opinion is that Arai is a great play to ride, but you gotta be loaded to stay there, and don't expect a "fun" time for your money off the mountain. But good terrain and relaxed rules (other than the stupid half-pipe policies) make it a great day-tripper.

I reckon that the people who wanted the luxury dinner would probably still go to the "high overhead" restaurants, even if there was an izakaya.

But the people who want a decent meal for a decent price would stay instead of 7-11'ing or going out to the famiresu.

Hello

HoTRoD

I appreciate your constructive suggestions, and agree that some of ARAI's Restaurants cater to high end clientele; However, one can have a restaurant dinner at ARAI for much less than JPY 5,000. I've done so myself on many occasions.

Fattwins

I like to save money too, true to my Scottish upbringing and roots; However, with time I learned that finding the best deal can sacrifice convenience, comfort, privacy and safety. For me, I've come to enjoy and appreciate these luxuries - especially as the frequency of my holidays have decreased over the years.

ARAI may position itself as a high-end operation; However, even a Scotsman can enjoy himself here in my mind.

enderzero

Lots of Guests do enjoy the restaurants as they are at ARAI. Some even come because of the restaurants - of course, it does depend on exactly what you are looking for.

LARD

Food Services is a tricky business even when volume is steady year round. Perhaps the restaurant policy at ARAI could be rationalized somewhat; However, please believe me when I say that ARAI is continuing to try to bring reasonably priced quality offerings to Guests.

Blair.