Don't worry Echi - I am like a 2 yr old on the ice at the moment - at least it is funny for other people to watch....but I couldn't snowboard 3 yrs ago either. A few lessons with the little kiddies and I will be gliding around the ice by Christmas (one hopes).

My youngest doesn't want to do it by himself, but REALLY wants to get into Ice Hockey - gotta start somewhere. Other son that is sorta keen to skate is committed to 6 days a week Water Polo and 2 days a week Touch Rugby - he doesn't want to spend his only sport free day committed to Ice skating lessons - so Mamabear is on ice this term! The things we do for our kids! doh

Ahh well ... better than knitting jumpers, or going to bingo! lol

Originally Posted By: yoroshiku onegai shimasu
Talking about ice skating - does being good at skiing make it easy to pick up? Any crossover in skills so to speak?

There seems to be some. Skiers will already have the basic skills like how to get moving and how to stop (hockey stops, at least). I have only skated a few times, but found some of the skills transferable.

Being a skier won't automatically make you a good skater of course, but it will help you start enjoying it pretty quickly, in my experience.
Originally Posted By: thursday
on flat ground, you can skate along using your skis. Apart from that, there is nothing common with ice skating.

Hah? You're not using the same muscles and similar technique? Inline skating/ice skating are very similar and work the same set of muscles in your legs/lower back, so skating across Niseko, of which 1/3 of it is flat, is practically the same.
  • 1 month later...

Thanks GN.

I know not to pack the skates then wink

[although the little guy had an accident at the rink yesterday after competitions - and sliced his finger up pretty well - got a nice egg on the back of his head too]