I recall discussion about The Vale building a skate rink in Niseko this year... any updates on that?

I have just received the skates we ordered from the States, and was wondering whether it will be worth bringing them or not. Would love to hear what facilities are available - what costs are involved - whether there is a difference in cost if you hire or BYO skates.

Thanks.

Of course we will be on the mountain Thursday - but I thought it might be nice for the kids to mix it up a bit - rather than spending HOURS doing the climbing wall at Jo-Jo's or playing pool at Wild Bill's. However if the rink is not there, or not worth the effort then I shall save the weight and space for other stuff. (although these skates are incredibly light!)

Not saying that at all.

In fact they often did the morning, stopped at about 1pm, went to Jo-Jo's for a burger and a climb, headed back to the unit for a hot chocolate, movie and early dinner, and then went back out for a couple of hours nighta.

Plenty of people, especially those staying for a number of weeks like to take a day off or two from skiing and try some other activities. Others, like many of those coming from SE Asia are not really into skiing much at all but come just for a holiday in the snow, they also appreciate other things to do.

OK, may I be so bold then, to suggest a zoo, a cheese factory, a brewery, a winery, an ice cream factory and some museums.

Looking at the plans of that place (Vale) the rink is tiny. But anyway, good luck and god bless. Hope the bugs don't bite. yawn

Hold on, whatabout a cinema? A bowling alley. A public swimming pool.

I'd rather ski. But that's just me.

Whats your problem with people wanting different things, thursday?

It's not something to get worked up about. Some people like skiing, some like snowboarding, some like gourmet posh French meals, some like Mos Burger. Etc.

lol

Love how this thread developed doh

Have to admit - with two ice rinks in Zermatt we didn't end up there once, even though we did take days off, but at that point we didn't own our own skates, and the kids had never been on ice skates ever - me only once when I was 15.

I think it is just a broadening the horizons, mixing it up - doing it all - thing.

went ice skating in nz this year with the family called in on our way down from mt hutt to wanaka. rink at lake tekapo great to try some thing new.scary stuff trying not to stack much to the amusment of my wife she has skated before.survied and some how black runs seemed easier

Originally Posted By: thursday
OK, may I be so bold then, to suggest a zoo, a cheese factory, a brewery, a winery, an ice cream factory and some museums.

Looking at the plans of that place (Vale) the rink is tiny. But anyway, good luck and god bless. Hope the bugs don't bite. yawn

Hold on, whatabout a cinema? A bowling alley. A public swimming pool.

I'd rather ski. But that's just me.

A cinema would be great, really hope that's a viable option one day. And a bowling alley would be awesome, there's one in Iwanai but one in Hirafu would be great too. There's already a public swimming pool in the Alpen Hotel.

We had one here that was a boutique cinema - called the Jaffa Lounge. Didn't compete with the big boys - in fact they did not show new release movies at all.

They were fairly small, had a few tub chairs and lots of bean bags on a tiered carpeted floor space. They provided everyone with a small container with Jaffa's to munch on.

You could book the cinema privately for a kids party or an adults gathering, and BYO movie, or choose one of theirs. I know one group who had a Monty Python-fest one night...and also businesses that used it for their product launches.

They also were able to serve food, either kids party food, or a chic business style finger food affair.

Small doesn't have to be completely naff - but it would need to be innovative and edgy.

Dunno if its still there but there used to be a cool forty-seater cinema in Matsumoto. Its in that heritage/tourist steet ("frog street"??) by the river. It used to show lots of minor films. I remember seeing the one about the monks sneaking off to watch the World Cup there.

For a short while there was a small cinema in Muikamachi. It had kotatsu down at the front along with standard 'office chairs' (non swivelly) as the main seats. It really was crappy. Didn't last too long....

Ice rink sounds like fun though wouldn't mind a go myself.