Incredibly, yes, I have heard of google. shifty

However, I am simply not in the least bit interested in learning how to construct a computer and then actually going about trying to do it. For a start, I value my time too much. And I would probably make a mess of it. And I can pay a company such a Dell or whoever to simply send me a box that works.

I could spend my whole life googling to learn how to do a whole boat load of stuff. I could learn how to build a boat. Or I could learn how to fix a boiler. Or perhaps build a house. But I choose not too. I choose to pay for the convenience of other people doing the things for me that I can't/don't want to do where possible. I'm pretty sure you do that too with some things in your life.

Perhaps I just have too much money. razz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K

That's cool.. I am a bit ingrained to do things what I can do myself because I can do it better than paying someone to do it most of the time, and I didn't have money (still don't). Like fixing up old cars ...

I learnt a lot from younger kids when I started with computers. I once went to a shop to buy some partition software. The kid at the shop taught me how to do it and he said he and his mates don't have 40 bucks to buy software so they try and figure things out by themselves.

I was impressed. I was 40 at that time but he inspired me to learn.

say no more ...

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

I learnt a lot from younger kids when I started with computers. I once went to a shop to buy some partition software. The kid at the shop taught me how to do it and he said he and his mates don't have 40 bucks to buy software so they try and figure things out by themselves.
I was impressed. I was 40 at that time but he inspired me to learn.
say no more ...

Just because I don't want to learn how to construct a computer from scratch or how to build a boat [or whatever else] does not mean that I don't want to learn anything.
And I hope you weren't implying such a thing.
naughty

There are many things that I want to learn. And I do.
No doubt you would not be interested or want to devote your time to learning some of the things that I do.
I won't mock you for having differing preferences and priorities with your own time and resources.

Surely this is not such a difficult concept to understand?
confused

I do accept gg - its his money and he can spend it however he likes. Not disputing that point at all - disputing the myth that computers are difficult to build.

And why laughin at two hours klingon?

Why laugh? Because it was funny!

'2 hours tops' I think you said. Well sure maybe for someone who knows what they are doing and has all the correct pieces of the puzzle ready in front of them. But as a general statement that is simply laughable.

For someone who doesn't know what they are doing and has no experience of making a computer - and I would guess that is most people - they first would need to learn what is needed. My guess is that for many non-technically minded people that would take a considerable amount of time not to mention frustration, and they wouldn't be confident even then.

Then they would have to go out and buy all the parts - and at the same time be sure they all go together.

Where do they buy them from? I wouldn't know that myself. The main electric shops near where I live don't stock all that is needed to make a computer.

It's difficult enough for lots of people - as shown in the threads over the last few days - to choose what to put into a Dell that has an automated online guide thingy to help them, so how much more of a nightmare will that be for people who know little about the difference between a core, quad, dual core, i7-950, i7-950, raid 0, raid 1 etc etc etc? There are a bewildering number of options and configurations. I'm fairly into technology stuff but even I would need to spend a bit of time learning up on whats out there now*. If you don't know much about this kind of thing, to learn about it will take a lot of time.

Then of course you would need to put it all together. And then install the os or whatever.

It's laughable to suggest that it's 'easy' in a general sense. Yes, it's easy for people who know how to do it. But then again most things are easy once you know how to do them, aren't they?

(* actually I wouldn't, I'd pay for some company to build one for me)

Hey...I replaced a carbie, spark plugs and radiator hoses on Papa's HK Holden way back when we were dating and had not a penny to pay a mechanic to do it. That is also like Lego.

Would I choose to do that myself these days - not a snowballs chance in hell.

I am pretty much with GG on this one. My kid can build his own PC if that's what takes his fancy, but I would rather pay someone who does that for a living to stick it all together for me and say 'There you are Madam, all ready to go'. And I would say "Thank you :)" and whip out my cheque book.

g-g I didn't mean it that way. Nothing personal OK ?

maybe it's in the genes or one's upbringing. Some kids grow up buying toys, some grow up making them.

well Ma'bear remember you mentioned about the service you get with cars? They are supposed to be people who does things for a living, yeah ?

I built most of my machines except the last one, I just couldnt be bothered. I bought it off the kid I have known for a long time. I know he is ubergeekerer than me.

The first one I built, I was totally freaked out about it, then it got easier and easier... no problemo.

Now i would rather go surfing than pull apart a box.

I also hate working on my car now. I used to do all the work on it.

As for 64bit, I would love it, except that the programs I use are not written for 64bit.. so whats the point. ? I would love 12gig of ram.. muahahahahah.. groovy

probably, but whats the point of running 64bit when the app doesnt run at that.. thats my viewpoint.

i may be totally wrong of course.

Maybe the use of extra ram will make the 32bit app run faster so that would be good.

Its all academic anyway as i wont be changing anything in the near future, doh!

I have absolutely no idea.

Perhaps I should not be bothering replying.

On the subject of "it's easy building your own computer". I could give you a list of 23,849,829,802 things (give or take a few) I would rather do than that!

I don't understand this 32 and 64 stuff. What I get is that if I go 64 I can stuff more memory in the computer. Beyond that it gets all fuzzy.

Windows 7 does sound an improvement on Vista. I will be getting a new computer fairly soon, look forward to trying it out.

I just got a new computer and it gave me a choice between 32 and 64

so of course I went for 64.

Half of the programs I run (CAD) don't work and it sucked trying to reboot.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
my pc....

AMD quad core 9.8ghz
8gb DDR 3 ram-1600
1.5tb hdd
2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260 1792MB

and only got a 24" monitor.

Doesn't mean a whole lot to me I'm afraid but Rob how much would a Dell or Sony be asking for that lot?

Yeh it just came up with 32 or 64 no explanation.

And I thought about Nintendo 64 and that is ancient so I presumed load 64.

Apparantely it was incorrect for my needs and to link up with work.

OK just got a quote on the phone from Dell.

Online price - 350,000 yen

Phone price - 295,000 yen

Exactly the same specs.

Shocking that the price difference is so much actually just by calling them up!

That is a big difference. I suppose they feel with the personal touch they will grab you in and don't want to let you know. Still, it's a huge chunk of change. I always presumed the online would be cheaper.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
I have absolutely no idea.

Perhaps I should not be bothering replying.

On the subject of "it's easy building your own computer". I could give you a list of 23,849,829,802 things (give or take a few) I would rather do than that!

I've walked into a computer mall, to a little shop, looked at the list of what they can build, chose one, paid half, came back an hour later and it's assembled, loaded, ready for demo testing for me. It's simple 'cos they are a shop and I know vaguely what I wanted.

Don't think you can do that in other countries.