Hi. Anyone have advice re Iiyama as an excursion from Nozawa? Assuming not skiing and have seen the sights of Nozawa, is it worthwhile going to Iiyama for a look given its description as a "temple town"?

I think it is a short bus trip away (actually do the Nagano buses go via Iiyama on the way to Nozawa?). But are the temples worth a trip, and are they easy to walk around?

Iiyama as an excursion from Nozawa? Hmmm. The pamphlets do have us down as a temple town and there is a little route in an area that has a lot of temples, but they are small and I'm not sure how much I'd recommend it. Easy to walk round yes. But don't expect huge impressive temples, more a bunch of local ones. Whether that is of interest to you or not, I don't know.

A visit to the big temple in Nagano might be better if you have not consided that.

It's just a 15 minute ride from Nozawa.

Looks like I have the local expert/resident here? I am reading quite a lot into your "Hmmmm" i-d, but given that it is only 15 mins and there is a little walk around a lot of (small) temples I will keep it in mind as a possibility. May have to get back to you for some specific directions - not a lot of info on the web, obviously not a big tourism centre! I have been to Nagano and will go again, but probably from Hakuba. Was thinking to explore a little around Nozawa.

Many thanks for the advice.

Don't read a lot into my hmmmm... I was simply thinking. I'm not an expert either - I just live here. If you are interested in local temples, like I said, might be interesting for you but like you said it's not a big tourism centre.

wave

The building design is based on the original mcd's which is a bit different to what you normally see. Two big arches form part of the building. There were a few photos and info etc about how mcd's started. I thought it was interesting.

Madarao is worth a day IMO. I really enjoyed my day up there, it was totally dead and I had the mountain almost to myself!! smile

How did they get on last season with the U-12's ride free? Did lots of family's take em up on it?

Also the hotel there has a nice onsen thats free (I think, no one took money from me!)

They probably thought he was a guest and just didn't ask. Lots of hotels are like that, they don't check when you go to the onsen. For a big hotel, they probably don't know and don't notice.

Madarao can be a really good day out when it's not busy. It did get pretty busy weekends last season - that "free for kids" was apparetly very popular. I'm going to make a thread on that, worth a mention.

thumbsup

Thurs, I went to the front desk and asked wear the onsen was, the guy pointed me down the stairs to the changing room, I went in expecting some sort of counter where I had to pay, nothing. I got undressed, washed then jumped in the bath and Voila!! Free Onsen! smile