I was in an office today and there were a few people using computers that seem to have 2 screens attached. I think it was just the one PC but there were 2 screens so for example when they moved their mouse over to the right hand side, it moved onto the other screen to the right side. I've never seen anything like that before and even having difficulty explaining it. Anyone able to enlighten me at all? I'm curious it looked good to have double the screen space. (Somehow!)

Thanks.

My friend uses 2 screens in her accounting work, and my son used 2 screen when he worked for a Graphic Design Company for 2 weeks at Christmas. It is getting more and more common.

Not necessary for my purposes really, but the odd time I could do with it when I am doing publications and stuff.

one pc guess using dual output.

used to use it myself for a while, while designing wedding stuff. Very useful for graphics designing on a wide area, as you can "stretch" the desktop over two monitors.

most graphics cards that you plug into your pc have a second video port (it's a DVI connector so you need to get a DVI to VGA conector)

you plug in your monitor then turn your machine on (if not restart it soo winddoze can pick it up) then go to your display settings and you should see 2 monitors on the option box (one should be greyed out) actvate it and then select the extend my desktop to this monitor and it should be ok (you might need to drag the monitor icon in relation to where the second monitor is located in the real world)

I use a 40 inch monitor and a 19inch monitor. It's very handy when I am programming because I have my programming stuff on the main one and any on-line reference stuff on the smaller one.

sorry if this is not making much sence I am still at work and I am wayyy too tired smile

I did NOT know you could do that with a laptop!

hmmm I have some spare monitors lying around the house after upgrading to big ol' gamers screens for my kids. Do you need to add any mods to a laptop to do that Gareth?

Might come in handy.

MB, there should be a plug on the back of your laptop to plug yr monitor straight into.

the docking station ive got is not necessary, but its by logitech, available from dick smith.

allows the screen to be placed at a good high position, anfd allows the wireless keyboard and mouse.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4ad92e830425a7b6273fc0a87e0106b5/Product/View/XH0595P

I'm running vista, and you just set up your display options to run both monitors etc. not sure if other operating systems will run the dual screen mode

Not new technology, been around for ages. Ever notice large events that have multiple screens meshed together, The VJ (visual Jockey) controls the output to the screens and can either make them independant or work as a whole as 1 screen.

But for home use, Most I seen people using was 4 screens at once for gaming. Gives a more natural 16:9 aspect ratio, or wider field of view. Great for simulation games like flight sims, or First person shooters.

For this application, its 2 indiviual (usually high end) video graphics cards that allow for upto 4 screens. Then from there its all software controlled to determine what portion of what image goes on each individual screen.

here is a good youtube vid that will help explain it. For Desktop PC's it is usually easier then laptops.

Laptop users, there are a few solutions. If your Laptop has 2 outputs then just plugging in the monitors is all that is needed. Mine has a HDMI and VGA outputs.

2nd is as above. docking stations that have additional outputs.

3rd is a USB solutions. There are many aftermarket video cards that will plug in through a usb port. Not normally great for high end users though.

Best solution I came across is a small projector. Got rid of my 32inch lcd TV and went over to a projector. I get about a 2m wide screen in my house. Only downfall is using it in low light conditions.

Just got an ACER k10 palm sized projector and mounted it on the wall. It is LED based and will not burn out like bulb type projectors. Works brillant for movies and games but a bit rough with small font reading at the current screen size I.E web surfing. Got mine for 3man used. new, they are around 4-5man

Great thing is that it is so small and portable, I can have a TV anywhere I go.

If my computer is a "display included in the pc itself" type machine (meaning theres no cables used), and it has an HMDI port on the back, and I buy a second display that has HDMI ---- will that work if I just hdmi cable them up?

yes will work

follow the youtube link and you just hook up your second monitor via hdmi and then go into the display properties and setup either clone or extend desktop to second display. Most computers have either ATI or NVIDIA chipsets so just get the manager software and no worries.

If your screen resolution is different for the second monitor, just have it seperate from your pc. Only applies if you get letterboxing problems.

sure thing dumbstick,

If you have use two or more monitors, screen resolutions may differ between them. Some monitors have many different resolutions and no tuning is required, but others are sometimes limited. So for my example at home: 17inch(laptop) and a 32 inch(tv). My tv could not support the same higher resolution that my PC could. This would cause the screen on the TV to have black borders around it or in other terms have the tv image condensed. I had to set the pc resolution to what I normal use 1280x800 and my tv output was set lower 1024x768 if I recall correctly. The manager software will allow you to set the screens seperately.