Ah yes the Arai debate about losing skiers. My recommendation for Arai would be as follows: Have the owners/managers take a trip to Squaw Valley or Alpine Meadows in the Lake Tahoe Area of California. They too get tons of snow (see April this year) and are able to open up vast amounts of terrain. I am by no way an expert at forcasting avalanches or avalanche prevention but with some more effort on Arai's part they can easily become the best ski area in Japan. If anyone has ever skied the KT-22 portion of Squaw Valley they would know what I am talking about. Steep terrain, long verticle, and lots of snow. I think if Arai put less effort into putting up the orange fences and more into avalanche prevention it would make the skiing experience there unbelievable. They get tons of snow, have great terrain (even though most is roped off) and have a few nice lifts to access it. If it can be done in resorts in North America and Europe why can't it be done here in Japan. I bet if Arai did this they would attract quite a few more visitors. I would sure go there more often. Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

The question in japan is can you bomb if you cant then you cant open it. Those gas bombs cost a fortune. I would love to see more terrain opened but I dont think the dirtbag pow hounds could afford it anyways. I cant afford it so I stay in Hakuba. Arai has to figure a way to get me there.