09/10 SITE UPDATES - Summary/Discussion thread

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a fair few votes in today already it seems which makes the 'rogues' all that more obvious.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/A_TO_Z_ResortVoteChart.php?caldate=2009-10-15

The blue colored area that shows the most is a good idea. That will also mask out any rogues like those blizzards in niseko today.

Nice work all round.

• SnowJapan Admin

Those 5 votes for Niseko all came from the same IP address, so I don't think they are by mistake. sadface

Give us a few days to get our systems in place - those obviously bad intentioned votes will get deleted.

Really good idea. Good to see all those votes up there already today. Who's there I wonder? Will be really great and useful info if lots of people use it properly in winter.

Thanks for all the updates. Hope you can take a bit of a rest sometime soon and have a good season. Will call in when I'm in Yuzawa.

• SnowJapan Admin

Let them have their 'fun' - we'll sort it out fairly soon.

No worries.

It's difficult to know what some peoples motivations are but each year we learn more and more not to let clowns like this get to you, just work away at doing what we can. We'll sort it out. In the long run, I'm sure they'll get tired of it.

I see you have got the detail more on the maps themselves this year - Hirafu was a bit too simple on the ones you had up before. Big improvement it is pretty much spot on for the roads and stuff. I'm sure lots of people will find those very useful.

[Had any hotels complain to you yet?] wink

Originally Posted By: SJForums
Quote:

Yep!!

Really. lol

Well I for one am really excited that it is chucking down a blizzard in Niseko cheers dance what?! ... veryshocked you mean IT IS NOT?!!! rollabout
Quote:

Yep!!

"Your map shows our hotel to be too close to the lifts. We will get innundated with queries for accomodation. How could you bring such heavy work load on us just when we are gearing up for the season"
  • SnowJapan Admin

Haha yes. One of two of them have sent us nice messages thanking us for the extra exposure they will enjoy within the site and also on the new site (snowjapanmaps.com)....

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

We have deleted that data. Someone had voted 11 times for blizzard. Have to delete it manually for now, but once we get our systems in place it will be much easier. As I said, we'll get it sorted.... trust me, they will get tired of messing around way before we will even begin to get tired of working for the good of this website.

How about having links to the relevant webcams on the Daily Weather Report pages? I'm pretty sure there are webcam links for quite a few resorts somewhere on the site but it would be nice to have all the weather stuff in one place.

• SnowJapan Admin

Good idea. We will try to get round to that soon.

In the meantime, we have adjusted the main mobile page to only display prefectures that have resorts with the weather voting functionality turned on.

Point your mobiles this way:

http://www.snowjapan.com/i/weather.php

As we add this functionality to more resorts, these lists will update automatically.

If you want to post votes for a certain resort that currently does not have this turned on, please let us know.

Thanks

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: r45
I see you have got the detail more on the maps themselves this year - Hirafu was a bit too simple on the ones you had up before.

Yes the maps have been reworked, especially the Niseko and Hakuba ones. We have tried to get them as detailed/correct as possible.
Maps sure take up a lot of time and effort, I can tell you!
Originally Posted By: r45
I see you have got the detail more on the maps themselves this year - Hirafu was a bit too simple on the ones you had up before.

Yes the maps have been reworked, especially the Niseko and Hakuba ones. We have tried to get them as detailed/correct as possible.
Maps sure take up a lot of time and effort, I can tell you!

ãŠç–²ã‚Œæ§˜ã§ã—ãŸï¼Much more interactive and user friendly. Nice work on the maps. As more and more companies, hotels, restaurants get on here that information will grow.

Will it be easier to deal with new listings on the maps now that the ground work is done?
Good idea. We will try to get round to that soon.

In the meantime, we have adjusted the main mobile page to only display prefectures that have resorts with the weather voting functionality turned on.

Point your mobiles this way:
http://www.snowjapan.com/i/weather.php

As we add this functionality to more resorts, these lists will update automatically.

If you want to post votes for a certain resort that currently does not have this turned on, please let us know.

Thanks

I thought SJ had the QCI (what ever that funky picture you point your keitai at and snap off a picture to access the weblink?? I thought thats how I accessed it and bookmarked it when you first got keitai access up like 4 years ago or so?? Will you have one of those again?
  • SnowJapan Admin

Haha yes. Good thing out of the above incidents though is that we realised that we need a better edit/admin for that than we had. About 3 days worth of work involved but in the long term it will be good to have.

It's good to see so many 'proper' (I think) votes up there today anyway. The more the better of course.

Quote:
Will it be easier to deal with new listings on the maps now that the ground work is done?

There were a lot of headaches on the way but from now on, it is all easy for us to change the maps yes.

Thank you.