Hey does anyone know what the minimum wage is here? Is it 800 yen an hour?

I'd be interested to hear what they are in other countries too.

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I thought Australia doesn't have a minimum wage anymore, and it's union dependent, age discriminated... tell me if I am wrong I haven't worked for a while.

You are wrong.

There you go. Told you.

There is Minimum Wage in Aus.

You are wrong Jynxx.

Good luck trying to pay anyone Minimum wage though....with Union involvement, and the job market the way it is we haven't paid minimum wage to anyone EVER. Always above.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Up here in Hokkaido there are people working for as little as Y600 per hour!! omg

I think the minimum wage varies from prefecture to prefecture but its about 600 yen or so in many of them.

For average wages, I seem to remember Hokkaido and Okinawa being lowest.

Shit man. 30 years ago was 500 Yen for coffee shops and retail work.

night time Macdonalds was 800 Yen.

Last year I saw some 1100 Yen for late night convini in Tokyo.

Wages really haven't gone up for casual work (inc. english teaching) in Japan.

Just bizarre that the perception of Japan being hideously expensive persists then really isn't it! I can't tell you how many people have said something about not thinking about going to Japan because they heard someone say a coke was about $20 Aussie Dollars!! [maybe they didn't mean the drink! Bwahahhahaha]

Japan was expensive at the height of the bubble at the end of the 80's. The rest of the world moved on since then and had growth and inflation, Japan didn't. It can be incredibly cheap to live here.

dont quote me on this but i heard minimum wage in Japan is set by....

How much an average lunch costs in the certain prefecture. Obviously Tokyo lunches are more expensive than Aomori's

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Just bizarre that the perception of Japan being hideously expensive persists then really isn't it! I can't tell you how many people have said something about not thinking about going to Japan because they heard someone say a coke was about $20 Aussie Dollars!! [maybe they didn't mean the drink! Bwahahhahaha]

20 dollars for coke.....that would be mega cheap!! wink