Hey guys, I'm finishing up my law degree at the end of the year and looking at taking a working holiday in the Japanese skifields (thinking Niseko) and would love some advice... is this the place to discuss this? I couldn't find any topics which seemed appropriate, I can't see a whole lot of talk on this topic!

Anyway, as mentioned I'm a law student, and I'm currently living in Australia. I don't think getting a visa will be a problem, but actually getting a job/place to live/making it all work financially will probably be a challenge. So I'm just scoping out the situation for work and accommodation now. I speak a little Japanese but I'm far from fluent, but I'm fine with doing the shittiest jobs which no one else wants to do if it means getting an hour or two of powder every couple of days.

Has anyone done this sort of thing or have any advice or comments or ramblings? Would greatly appreciate it, peace.

What others have said - start emailing companies now but if you don't get something lined up don't fret, just rock over there with a visa and some cash and you'll line something up (i've had roomies do it every year), worst case scenario there are always snow clearing and babysitting jobs on offer.

A lot of seasonal accommodation can only be found once your there & asking around, just be prepared to stay in a backpackers for a little while until you sort yourself out.

Cool, thanks for all the comments guys. Will email around and see if I can line anything up.

Not too fussed with Niseko at the moment (just seems like a really beautiful place with not too much congestion on the slopes) so if anyone has any other recommendations I'd love to hear them, especially if its easier for a predominantly english speaking guy to land a job in those places.

start looking into getting a working holiday visa as if you haven't got a degree, there's not much chance of getting a full on visa due to a completed degree being a prerequisite.

Niseko is a pretty good choice if you're looking for work. No other Japanese ski area hires more foreign staff than Niseko. As advised above I would email all the big companies here right away and even make a few calls. Although most positions will have been filled there's almost always one or two people who drop out at the last minute. Get the visa organised as soon as possible.

As others have said if you're unable to organise something prior to arrival just rock up, stay at a backpackers and then walk around all the companies to see if there's any work they can give you.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Yeah don't think visa will be a problem. Has anyone got the contacts for some of the bigger companies in Niseko I might wanna get in contact with?

Once again, thanks heaps for the help everyone.

Only issue with the visa, in regards to Working holiday visas, is that there a finite number per year.

Well for the UK at least they are. But for both countries, think you can only use that system once.

Update: On everyone's advice, I have sent off a bunch of emails with my resume and a covering letter, and have gotten a couple of leads (fingers crossed!)

On the accommodation side of things, how easy is it to get relatively cheap seasonal accommodation in a place like Niseko? I know on the Australian ski fields rooms are expensive and generally pretty shitty. Do most companies provide staff accommodation, or is it really hard to get a place to stay for the season, and do I have to start organising something now?

Had a look at the hostel prices and they seem fairly reasonable (about $80 AU per night including 2 meals) but probably not sustainable for a whole season.

Most companies do provide staff accomm. The quality and price can vary considerably. Expect to pay anything from Y40,000-Y80,000 per month. Lower end probably sharing a room, upper end in pretty nice private room.

There's about a 1000 or so pages of descriptions about the slopes/snow at Hakuba to be found on past threads. Big mountains and great snow. You're from Australia so just about any resort in Japan will get far more and better quality snow than you've ever experienced before.

Haha, I have been to ski fields in Europe before... but you're right, Australian resorts are pretty horrible.

Yeah realised the topic of "How is Hakuba?" had probably been covered before now about 2 seconds after I hit 'post'... sorry for going over old territory!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update on my progress (in case anyone cares :p)

I have organised a working holiday visa, as well as accomodation in Niseko for the season (for which I got very lucky - accomodation in exchange for 30 hours per month work). I also have tickets booked for Tokyo in early December.

Which leaves:

Getting from Tokyo to Niseko! I'm thinking I might book a plane to Sapporo and catch a train to Kutchan (and then I understand shuttle busses run to Niseko?).

I also have to organise a snowboard on the way there (I've only rented gear in the past), and I think Sapporo might be a likely candidate to stop over and buy a board at. How much would I be looking at for a semi-decent board, boots and bindings from Sapporo? Or would I be better off trying for second hand gear on the slopes?

And finally... a job! Hoping to also work this out in advance, but I feel fairly confident that with accomodation organised and enough money to last me a couple of months it should fall into place. I noticed though that conditions of the working holiday visa exclude working in bars/nightclubs. This seems a bit strange, and I hadn't heard of it before... does this include restaurants serving alcohol as well?

Looking forward to seeing many of you in Niseko for what's starting to look like a great season!

Nic! Congrats on getting stuff organized LachyD.

Originally Posted By: LachyD
I have organised a working holiday visa

If you don't mind em asking, how hard was it to get the Visa? I'd be interested in knowing what the process is to apply. Who knows, maybe next season I'll try and do the same biggrin

Originally Posted By: fukdane
We only care if you promise to upload tons of pics to this site/forums during the season.

razz

wink

Will do!

Visa was quite easy to organize, no fees involved and no huge wait times. For Australians, the Consulate-General in your particular State are the people to talk to (there is info on the Japanese embassy to Australia site but it doesn't have all the forms etc). So for Queenslanders, head over to http://www.brisbane.au.emb-japan.go.jp/Services/visa.htm for info.