How, What, and Where did you suffer your worst on snow injury

First time I went snowboarding. It was my third day (Wednesday) on the snow and we were just starting our lesson when I hit a death nugget at Blue Cow (Perisher). My left knee twisted 90* in its socket(?) with my board attached. Had to get taken to the infirmary by snowpatrol, after getting stretchered into the weird boat thing being towed behind the snow mobile. Got an ice pack, then sat in the bar for about 2 hours with a couple of scotches. Then went back out, despite not being able to put any pressure whatsoever on my front leg.

Probably wasn't the smartest idea because I got stuck up the top of Perisher on the Friday in a mini-blizzard. Had to do so much skating and walking that I was a mess when we got to the bottom.

I couldn't walk properly for about 3 weeks, and couldn't jog lightly for about 6 months. It affected my learning, so that when I went snowboarding next time (1.5yrs later), I basically had to relearn it all and get my confidence back to put weight on it.

wow - nasty injury sciclone!

LOL @ shadowtec.

For me it is a toss up - either when I was knocked out after being taken out from behind by a pissed skier about a minute after getting off the lifts back from Hanazono to Hirafu - but despite sore neck, headache and bit of numbness in my cheek for about a week I was fine. That was Jan 08.

But the one that hurt the most for the longest - also a death nugget! We just started from the very top lift 4400m in Zermatt headed for the Italian resort Cervinia. The little man was whining a lot as it was not real pleasant up there and I was following him down keeping an eye on him - it was pretty icy - and I hit a nugget. Next thing I knew I was trying to catch breath. Cracked a rib. Kept boarding that day - took the next day off - and then did the next week on the mountain but on pain killers. It was awkward. It hurt - but how many times would I ever get to board in Switzerland!!? That was Jan 09. And it took about 3 months for me to feel right again.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I had 6 fractures in the last 7 years.
Last 2 years I had broke a bone every 2 weeks snowboarding . I hope none of that this year, fingers crossed, touch wood.

Are you related to Wile E. Coyote by any chance ?
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Death Nuggets??!! Is this an aussie thing? wakaranai

Maybe.

My boys are I normally call them death cookies though - just went with the prior reference.

You know the things - the chunks of rock hard ice that end up in the middle of a run - you hit it and kapow...

A double open compound fracture of the Tib and Fib in Les 2 Alpes, France. Hearing them say in the Clinic " He is losing too much blood" was a slight worry.

12 seperate bones broken during my sporting life. Not all skiing. Last time was August 09 Chiba Prefecture. I was surfing and broke two ribs. I say surfing, it might as well been an Ironing board to me. that's as as much as l know about surfing.

I am not taking up hang gliding!!!

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
How about this. I crashed, fell forward directly onto my keitai (mobile phone) which was in a chest pocket of my jacket and fractured a rib. It didn't stop me skiing but it really hurt for about 5 weeks.
SdS

lol
Done similar - but with my camera!
Forgot about that - but no cracked rib - my natural airbags copped it all - nasty bruise that!

Blew out my knee in Hokkaido, landibg flat off of a small jump. Screwed me for a few years, but not that painful. Just made my knee wonky.

Worse was the first time i seperated my shoulder trying a switch straight air over a 30 foot table. Lost my balance, went down, and immediately as my hand went to my shoulder i was like 'wait, where did it go?", accompanied by shock and nausea. But was only out for a few weeks.

Last season may have been the worst. In the 47 park was hitting a little, 3 meter kicker all day. At the end, while doing a straight air, somehow went off my toes a little bit too much, supermaned, and went down headfirst. All of the sudden i was in dreamland for a few hours it seemed, and talked to the patrol in it. Turns out i was talking to the real patrol, and was only out for 10 minutes. First thing i really remember is walking into the ski patrol office, and my midriff was killing me. Mild concussion and broken ribs, out for 3 weeks or so. And getting a helmet this year.

I took a tumble this year while flying down Hoppo Bundaira. Me and my brother were snaking each other when I hit a patch of deeper powder that some skiers had criss-crossed near the edge of the run. Fortunately I didn't damage anything or scorpion myself, but I did have a little headache for the rest of the afternoon. I too will be getting a helmet this year.

Overshot a 15 meter jump by about 5 meters. Landed on my tailbone. Cracked sternum, broken ribs, and dislocated ribs in my back. I thought I had broken my back as I couldn't pick myself off the ground for about 20 minutes and could barely breathe until I got muscle relaxants into me. Off my feet for a few days and took about 5 months before I could exercise again properly. 4 years later my ribs still feel like they haven't healed properly and ache sometimes after long surfing sessions.

Stationery Jump off 15 metre cliff.

Caught back of skis on the way down, face planted left skis planted vertical in the ground.

Smashed face broke nose 8 stiches in top lip 6 in bottom.

Wish I still had the video I would have won funniest home videos.

Les Carroz crew of 90/91 Paul where is the evidence?

Seemore.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
SdS, Mb, perhaps phones/cameras could be carried in a sleeve pocket then?

Good point G O
I did the same thing at threadbare thredbo - you know a couple of seasons back - worst season ever.

Caught an edge on dirt or bush, dont know which, at speed & did a big chest plant breaking camera & 3 ribs.
I have carried my cam etc in a sleeve pocket or pants ever since, Would be tragic to break the iphone hey.