Hello. This broad general question has been asked countless times. I suggest you spend a bit of time just reading some stuff. Search these Forums, click on some of those links up top.

To point you in the right direction look at Hakuba, Shiga kogen and Nozawa Onsen in Nagano on Honshu and look at Niseko and Furano in Hokkaido. All are very worthy places that polarize opinion on here, have a read of the reports and decided what suits you best

thumbsup

Originally Posted By: thursday
Don't think there are direct flights to Hokkaido fom Singapore. So best bet would be a Honshu resort from Tokyo.

You may wish to read up on snow conditions for your intended time.

This is good advice. I suggest you start with Hakuba. You'll get plenty of very good information. You can then check out other resorts if you wish.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Hi there and welcome

Other than on these Forums, here's a few starting places on the site

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/general/winter-sports-in-japan-introduction.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/start-here.html

and to get an idea of conditions at different times in past seasons

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nowcalendar.php

Good luck with the research.

Can't go wrong with Hokkaidough (some people mis-spell it Hokkaido)

The most popular place for overseas visitors which also happens to get the best snow in the world is to be found in Niseko.

wink

Have a read and decide for yourself rather than listen to someone selling you a place driven by their own motivations. Get a good idea of what we might call 'the main places'. Read some reviews etc. All depends on what you want and what suits you.

Don't listen to that stupid lump of dough. His advice is stale to say the least.

Use the search function or ask Gareth_uaouaouao or Mamabearess as they are the experienced ones with real families and travelling. If you ask anyone else, we'll just give sarcastic answers especially that Wednesday guy.

But if you only have one week, best to stay on Honshu unless your family can handle transitflights, bus transfers and potentially long waiting times to get to Hokkaido.

rollabout

You are in a playful mood tonight Rob!

I would tend towards going to a Honshu resort if it was just for a week as well, although the reality is the transits and transfers are not THAT much more to get up to Niseko.

And once you are there it is very family friendly, and very gaijin friendly - two positives when traveling with kids that might turn their noses up at unfamiliar foods, and need English speaking kids ski school instructors etc.

But I am biased. 3 of mine are booked for thier 4th visit, and myself and the little ones are booked for our 3rd.

I would recommened nagano area lots of resorts and very easy to get to .Our family of 4 simply caught a private transfer picked up at the air port and dropprd of at our cabin in echo land same on the way back sit back and enjoy the veiws and I love those road house stops.Niseko was great but beware of getting snowed in at the air port slept 2 nights on the floor there in 2008 not fun