Originally Posted By: Robson
I will have a masters in economics by the time I am there if that helps. I do need to go to a place that a foreigner can work though, is there any other villages that might have more jobs?

Most of us here have a degree or two in something or other. It does help if you are wanting to become an english teacher but a ski resort isn't really the place to try and find work like that.
Not sure about other ski areas and job prospects but I do know Niseko has more job opportunities for foreigners than any other ski area in Japan.
As I said get your resume out to all the companies up here right away. Make sure the resume is well presented and you've spell checked! Amazing how many people don't spell check what they send us, of course they don't get jobs. Also probably worth following up with a phone call or two to personally express your enthusiasm and interest. There's bound to be a job or two at many of the companies that have yet to be filled.
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Robson
I will have a masters in economics by the time I am there if that helps. I do need to go to a place that a foreigner can work though, is there any other villages that might have more jobs?

As GN noted having a degree or masters is common place now- what actual experience do you have and are you willing to get down and dirty and do long shifts, sometimes 6 days a week, if not every day?

Robson - just curoius as to what sort of visa you'd be coming over on. As an American, I'm guessing it'd be a 90 day tourist visa. Not to discourage you but that might make it a little more difficult to find a job. There are places that will still "hire" you and pay under the table, but there's a bit of risk involved obviously. Your best bet might be just to bring over all your graduation money and have a good time skiing and spending that for the winter.

Damn, sounds like finding a job might be a bit of a task. How would I find these companies at the ski areas? And I dont speak more than basic japanese, so that might be a problem.......

Maybe I will just sell my car and come have a good time. How much is a season pass over there?

Robson,

I don't know how to bum it in Hokkaido. It's like going to Alaska for you guys, if you know what I mean, though there are no oil rigs up there, so not much prospect of making cash that way. I don't know any one of my friends ever going up there except for working at Sapporo office or something like that.

Your best bet is go to Hawall. Do a couple of years with Japanese international companies, you will find Tokyu, Seibu, etc... that are into tourism and development.

Probably more rewarding and lead you to a better situation, working in Japan, compared to working for some aussie kiwi small business operators who has bought a house or shop for a couple of hundred G's.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
...compared to working for some aussie kiwi small business operators who has bought a house or shop for a couple of hundred G's.

confused
It's not always crap working for an Aussie boss you know Jynxx. Some Aussie employers even like to make sure their staff are happy and enjoying working for them.

I am not fully across all of the in's and out's of working visa's for each nationality, but if the boy wants to work the ski bum life for a while, there should be a way he can make that happen - you are only young once. I don't think the goal was to work for a huge Japanese conglomerate and live permanently in Japan....just head over for a season and pick up enough work to keep him in beer.
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Right. The US has no such thing as a working holiday visa for anybody else, and the love is consequently reciprocated.

The US has J1 and H2B visas. They are pretty much working holiday visas. The terms have changed since I got one. I think you can work up to 6 months and stay another 6 months on either of them.

You can renew the J1 once. As far as i know the you can continue getting H2B visas so long as you leave the US every 6 months or so. The other difference I know of is that the J1 visa is not linked to any job whereas if you have an H2B you are limited to working for the sponsoring employer.

I am not thinking of staying in Japan for long, just for one winter. It would be cool if I could work for some Aussie guy, I know they are a relaxed and fun bunch. I dont need to make much money anyway as I think I will be heading to China to teach english after the snow dries up and money is easy to make in China.