Hello everyone, I am new here and looking to gather some info. I am looking to be a ski bum this winter someplace in Japan, but I have no idea where to go or what it is like. I am looking to set up in a place with

-tons of snow, the most snow, I love powder

-a good village with some nightlife (I just graduated college and like to party a bit)

-A large village or someplace where a foreigner can get a job, perhaps teaching english or bartending (I only speak a little japanese)?

I am basically looking to ski as much powder and have as much fun as possible this winter.

Any help would be much appreciated, and maybe if I get out to Japan this winter I can ski some pow with some of you guys on this forum!

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi robo

not much action on this thread , so i will try and kick it along a bit .

mate i think niseko is the place for you , they are a bit short on hillbilly ski bums so you will fit in just fine . what they dont like in niseko is "low life thieving intoxicated scumbag bogans , with joe dirt style haircuts" . old pow and the native have assured me these types have moved on , but i will visit niseko hirafu in early march to check they are not tellin pork - pies .

should be no trouble teaching english in japan , i suspect some people on this forum are doing the same thing ? have talked to gaigin looking barpeople in tokyo , but they were refugees and speak japanese fluently . plenty of illegal asian girls working in the ginza as g.r.o. but i doubt you will make a dollar there .

one place i would avoid like the plague is furano , terrible slopes [ only held 10 FIS SKI WORLD CUPS THERE AND 2 FIS SNOWBOARD WORLD CUPS THERE ] , not allowed to ski out of bounds [ funny how every gaigin is out of bounds ] ? boring traditional japanese town , never go to bar street.

covered about everything i think , mate i would not leave the lutsen mts. in minnesota . thats where fargo was filmed i think ?

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm sorry but we've had enough of those kinds of posts in the last few days.

If you want to ott bad-mouth a place and do it persistently - whether it's what you actually think or meant to mislead others - please do it somewhere else. Not here.

Thanks.

(Reprinted with permission from another thread and referring to other posts in other threads as well as this one)

• SnowJapan Admin

Response by biri-island to my above post has been deleted.

biri island - we don't really take too well to sarcastic/witty comebacks. You just posted two. You are not banned, and you can still post, but if you do decide to post again it will need to be approved by us before it goes online. You pretty much pushed us into that action.

Also if you were indeed on here 'to promote Furano', as you said in the deleted post, may I suggest that you went about it the wrong way.

Thanks.

Sj

you have promoted Japanese ski resorts and Japanese culture through your efforts.

No other individual or company has anywhere near so effectively and successfully "Marketed" Japan through the dot com medium like you have without personal bias and selfishness.

This is largely to do with your moderation and executive decision and I applaud your efforts.

Absolutely great work. thumbsup clap

A few years ago - I went to Hakuba and met some Aussies there who were doing what sounds like what you want to do. They were staying at some lodge in the area, just down the road from Hakuba 47 for the season. They seemed to be very happy with the situation so perhaps try there.

Also the Yuzawa area is pretty good as well for jobs and nightlife, but snow varies from slope to slope.

Thanks for all the good info. I take it Niseko gets the most snow and have a good ski village? What about terrain parks in that area? I wouldnt mind some nice jumps and jibs to keep me entertained when the snow is not coming.

What about living costs? How much would rent be? Food? Beer? I think that is about all I would need haha

Thanks for the great info, this is making it easy to make the leap over to Japan!

If you are wanting to get a job in Niseko you'd better start looking right away. Most companies will have already hired most of their winter staff already. It may be possible to just rock up and try and get something but I wouldn't count on it. There's not that many bars or restaurants here that will hire foreign staff and teaching English is not really an option. The main jobs are in the property management/tour operator companies. If you work for one of these companies they will have staff accomm which you'll pay around 40-50,000 yen per month for. You can earn up around 150-200,000 yen a month but for this you'll be working up to 6 days a week. Depending on the job though you will still get a reasonable amount of time on mountain.

All I can say is do some research on all the main companies here and send them your resume to see if they still have any positions open.

• SnowJapan Admin

seemore, as is almost always the case in things like this, you did not see all that went on - stuff that has either been edited or deleted. It wasn't just about one post either, it was a persistant 'campaign' as noted by a few other readers. I think I also mentioned that he/she is still able to post on here if they want to.

And after all that, and even though it didn't come across clearly in the posts, it has got to also be said that we're not mad keen on people coming on these Forums simply "to promote" a place either.

It would be good if the thread could get back to something like on topic.

Fair Call SJ

Sorry Robson

Can't help you out with details but I always found that sometimes being in the right place at the right time always got me work.

But I never had a problem cleaning toilets.

Seemore