Hello everyone.

Three of us are coming to Japan to snowboard for Xmas & NY's. We are intermediate boarders.

It appears that Hokaido is the best place for snow, but it is quite a way from Tokyo (our international flights are to/out of Tokyo). We don't really have time for connecting internal flights or train journeys.

Would you recommend to go to Hakuba? What is the situation with snow there around the festive period?

I have looked on the internet at the resorts there and they have not impressed me with the size and height. Perhaps, this is because I am comparing them to the Alps. Although we are planning to board only for a week, we prefer not to go down the same slope numerous times (if the choice is pretty limited)..

Also, it would be good to have smth to do in the evening: restaurants, bars, spa, etc...

Your help is highly appreciated!

F

• SnowJapan Admin

fier

Welcome. I'm sure that some people will provide you with some specific advice but it is worth pointing out that there is much more to Japan than Hokkaido and Hakuba, though they are of course very popular destinations.

If you want a general introduction to things, here are some starters for you

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/start-here.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/general/winter-sports-in-japan-introduction.html

and for reports from some popular areas in recent years

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nowcalendar.php

Good luck.

Not sure why you got the impression they are not big. Take a look at some pics from muikabochi last March.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthread...html#Post309098

The range is actually referred to as the Japanese Alps as to its apparent likeness to the European Alps. Over 1000 vert should keep you happy. The BC is endless.

Hakuba has 9 resort areas, 5 of which I would highly rate. You could probably ski all week without skiing the same run twice.

200 restaurants, plenty of bars, and many onsens will keep you busy during the evenings

Yes a lot more research called for there I think fier!

Here's some more stuff to look at

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_gallery.php

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/voice/review.php

Don't know where you found that info but might be best to take what a marketing-based info or what someone from one places tells you about the other with a pinch of salt! wink

Thanks everybody for your prompt replies.

My bad, I hadn't researched it well b4 I asked. In fact, I was just truly "snowed" under with info on the net, hence preferred to talk to you guys as you are "independent". I'll return favors with the fine Leerdammer ;O)

Leerdammer1%20copy.jpg

Yep, it's our first time in Japan and hope this is just the beginning!

TJ OZ, what are the 5 (out of 9) Hakuba resorts you highly recommend?

I have through some reviews and seem to lean towards Hakuba 47, Goryu and Happo.

They seem to offer a good variety of pistes, yet Happo seems to be the biggest..

One thing, however..In case there is not much snow this coming December, are these resorts high enough to have some snow?

I have read through the last years snow reports and it appears that generally there is snow on the mountains between 60-190 cms which should be ok.

One of the cons is big crowds, especially in Goryu and on the weekends, I read..

What about apres-skiing? Are there restaurants/bars/onsens?

Could anybody recommend a good 2-3star-ish hotel? Thnx for the list of places to stay, but a personal recommendation is always appreciated.

Smbd recommended Hotel MontBlanc. It seems to be ok, but it's the only one I have found a reference for.

Thanks a million to everyone again!

Originally Posted By: fier
Thanks everybody for your prompt replies.
My bad, I hadn't researched it well b4 I asked. In fact, I was just truly "snowed" under with info on the net, hence preferred to talk to you guys as you are "independent". I'll return favors with the fine Leerdammer ;O)
Leerdammer1%20copy.jpg

Yep, it's our first time in Japan and hope this is just the beginning!

TJ OZ, what are the 5 (out of 9) Hakuba resorts you highly recommend?
I have through some reviews and seem to lean towards Hakuba 47, Goryu and Happo.
They seem to offer a good variety of pistes, yet Happo seems to be the biggest..
One thing, however..In case there is not much snow this coming December, are these resorts high enough to have some snow?
I have read through the last years snow reports and it appears that generally there is snow on the mountains between 60-190 cms which should be ok.
One of the cons is big crowds, especially in Goryu and on the weekends, I read..

What about apres-skiing? Are there restaurants/bars/onsens?

Could anybody recommend a good 2-3star-ish hotel? Thnx for the list of places to stay, but a personal recommendation is always appreciated.
Smbd recommended Hotel MontBlanc. It seems to be ok, but it's the only one I have found a reference for.

Thanks a million to everyone again!

I think you can add Sun Alpina linked resorts as well as Tsugaike, Iwatake and Cortina. Cortina is at the southern end of the valley and gets some of the largest snowfalls in Japan.
The resorts will open the end of November to the beginning of December, usually only the top half of the mountains are open the lower parts will probably open about the 20th of December.
Plenty of bars restaurants and onsens in Hakuba. Generally speaking the best bars are in Echoland, though Goryu does have two or three good ones as well. You can eat Mexican, Indian, Thai, Indonesian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, American, British, Italian and French.
Crowds - OK sometimes on Japanese long weekends there can bea the 5 min wait for a lift but nothing like the crowds in other international ski areas.
I don’t want to comment on any accommodation places, but do check the accommodation section on SnowJapan.