Due to them having more snow than they anticipated, Kagura in Yuzawa (Niigata) have announced that they are going to open up the top Main Gelende (all 600m of it!) on the following dates:

May 24th (Sat), 25th (Sun)

May 31st (Sat)

June 1st (Sun)

Mitsumata Ropeway will be open from 8am-5pm. Tickets are - adults 3000 yen & children 2000 yen.

Apparently there is currently still 120cm of snow up there.

Personally I don't think even the top portion of Kagura is going to be much fun for boarders. When I was there in April it was moguls-galore! mad.gif Surely their board park is dead since it's located in Mitsumata. STILL chargin' 3000yen? No thanks!

I'm heading up tomorrow with some mates just for the hell of it. We're not expecting much so if its anything better than totally crap, than it will be a bonus. Just spending a day in the mountains will be worth the effort. Anyone who lives in Tokyo will understand what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Scouser, it wasn't too bad at all. They only had a couple of single chairs reaching to about 2/3 of the main kagura run and the skiiers chopped the snow into mogals quite quickly, but it was a fun day out of Tokyo. We even hiked up to the top of the kagura quad station a couple of times and went down through the gully on the right hand side of the mountain.

There was still quite a bit of snow around.

What was pretty incredible was the amount of trees and bushes that were visable. Runs that during the season are clear and open had all sorts of hedge rows and bushes and stuff. A very different experience altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

is it ok to walk up around up there?

the resort don't close it off or anything like that?

can you drive up the access road that takes you to the bottom of the gondola station?

how about MOTORBIKES on the courses? that would be fun!!

You can walk up there no problems - Kagura is the main route to climb Naeba-san. Cars can go up to the top Gondola station, then its walking from there on up.