Hey, hi wave

I am planning a trip to Japan, well a possible trip to Japan, and wondering how the exchange rates are for other currencies? The UK pound hasn't really bounced back and is still around 155 yen to the pound, so Japan is still looking expensive. I heard that the Australia currency has bounced back to a certain extent? How's it all looking at the moment from where you are, those people living outside Japan.

Hope we can make it this season!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bounced back to some extent, but not at the highs it was at immediately before the GFC.

However Japan is cheaper than Aus to get accomodation, lift passes, eat etc so even with a slightly devalued currency going in it is worth going.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Yep the pound doesn't seem to be able to pull itself up out of the under-160 regions.

shhh.....don't tempt fate Pie-eater!! wink

sorry Topless Nun!! (not a sentence I'd ever thought I'd say/type!)

Yes the oz dollar has bounced back chiefly because interest rate cuts are finished and our central bank is now talking modest rises to come.

A simple fact - Reducing interest rates = AUD falls against the yen. Rising rates = AUD increases against the yen.

These are not the only reasons, but are a good indicator.

ergo - so while better currency rates are good for our trips to Japan we are paying more on our mortgages.

hi nun

try this buy 5000 or more yen each week , put it away in a safe place . by the time you go on vacation , you will have your spending money without the drama of a fluctuating pound . nobody on this forum can predict currency movements , especially 3 months down the track .

last week i bought 10,000 yen for $130 oz [ crown ].

5000 yen is just one less shout in an english pub , you will not miss it [ i hope ] . in 2008 japan was very cheap for us in 2009 it was expensive but still great .

the main thing is to , not miss japan .

The trend my friend lost a lot of people a lot of money 12 months ago.

Nobody can say what the exchange rate will be. Probably tomorrow it will be one penny up or one penny down

(I am happy for Tlen to come back in Jan and ridicule me if he is correct)

Best bet is to buy some now and some later. Hedge your bets and take the average.

I can't see the pound doing anything much for a while. Australia has had an equally crazy housing boom and collapse in interest rates, but at least they've still got lots of stuff to pull out of the ground. Nat gas, uranium, bauxite, etc. That's what's led the Ozzie dollar back up methinks. Rudd also sounds much more capable than Brown.

I've just watched the UK Dispatches documentary about middle class unemployment and it were well grim. As a nice touch, it was narrated by Bernard Hill, old Yosser Hughes himself. I think we're looking at a much bigger recession now than then, diddled official figures aside.

Ridicule, chastise? No, I was trying to be helpful using the knowledge I have of charting over the last 17 years to those that might not be following the markets every day. I'm paid in yen and don't care where it is but I think it's the range you can expect for Jan next year.