Is there any further news on the possibility of there being access to the 'Mizuno no Sawa' area this upcoming season. I remember reading an article recently that mentioned the possibility that this area may be opened up and that it was a requirement that all users participated in a short course prior to gaining access. Any news?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niseko Village has been working hard on the Mizuno no Sawa project and we have taken some big steps recently.

Yesterday we have released that we will be running some limited skiing operations in Mizuno no Sawa this season.

We have not completed the English release for this as yet but under conditions negotiated with the local and regional governments as well as local parties guests will be allowed into Mizuno no Sawa this season under certain conditions, on days determined by the resort and in a manner which reflects the 'test-case' scenario of this project.

I believe this is what the market and the guests want and we have been trying very hard to move the project forward.

Happy skiing

Mizuno no Sawa cannot be controled until about 8:30 each morning so even on a day with operations in Mizuno it would only occur until after 9am after it is deemed operational on any given day.

It is always fun watching guests on Limited 1,2 and 3 now Superstition, Jagaimo and Misoshiru when the blasting occurs in Mizuno.

Mizuno no Sawa is a different case to the gates and back bowls in Niseko and is controled unlike those areas.

I have to give Niseko Village and even my ol' buddy Kamiharako-san credit where credit is due. They fought the long hard battle for this. I'm still skeptical however, this whole scenario was supposed to happen last season, and the season before that and the seasn before that. The gov't could and have in the past shut the plan down at the last minute, a pretty tactical (some would say cowardly) move to save yourself a lot of greif. I think they have been reluctant thus far due to them (gov't officials) not skiing, not caring about skiing, seeing no personal benefit in helping the cause and more importantly they're pissed because this extra work cuts directly into their smoking, coffee drinking and desk chair sleeping time.

Believe this announcement AFTER you've done a legal run in there.

But once again a massive shout out to everyone who has gotten it this far. This is good for ALL of Niseko United so I hope they are receiving support. New terrain makes great news and gives people a reason to come back.

I know there have been accidents there in the past but IT WASN'T CONTROLLED IN THE PAST. Please don't tell me this area is any more dangerous than what is already open (and uncontrolled).

Pray for change!

The main people behind this entire project have been Kamiharako San who is now GM of Hanazono (previously GM at NV), Nomura San, Patrol Captain at NV as well as the entire patrol team here who are mostly full-time year round staff here as well as Tanaka San, the Ski Resort GM here. Also Motomura San from the Hakuba region and a lot of the staff at NV who have put 5 years into this.

Niseko United map revisions have been approved and the process with which we wil be allowing guests in the area this year has been approved. We do hope to expand the operations from what they will be at the start of this season but we need to clear this hurdle first.

We are in the process of employing extra staff for the project as well as preparing physical aspects for the operations.

Credit must be given to some in the regional governments who have been very supportive of this recently and helped us move it through. The ski areas have been great.

Agreed BD. The govt could shut it down in a heartbeat bc theyre using explosives in a national park (I think thats one of the big factors of why they can say no). If you take a look at Cortina, they use an air bomb, no explosives necessary. Kyu Higashiyama had brought in many an experts from all over to learn how to do avi control properly, and really did their HW. I wonder if an air bomb was an option, which Id imagine would cut lots of the bureaucracy involved with using dynamite. But, that is probably just 1 out of 1000 issues they faced.

I didnt ride the peak last year - not after the circus I saw. Skiers and snowboarders would hike 2/3 of the way up, see people dropping in from the peak, and start ski cutting all the way over from (I think its) 藤原ã®æ²¢ã€€Fujiwara no sawa - watching them youd think they were cutting all the way towards Jacksons rolleyes rolleyes

Whether you are the 1st skier, or the 20th, you can trigger an avie, and watching all those clowns going down the way they did really made me question whether they know anything about snow safety; it kept me from wanting to ride there.

If you have the same sort of carnage at Mizuno, Id imagine its only a matter of time as well....the same for the peak, too.