Hey TB,

I spend a lot of time in Myoko and Akakura Onsen (Akakan) is my favourite place. The last time I went to Seki Onsen it was terrible terrible terrible (terrible!). The area is tiny and its only worth going if they've just got a dump of fresh snow. Give Akakura a go. You'll find lots of off-piste/side-piste if you stick around the top of the mountain. Particularly the Olympic and Challenge areas. You can also hike to the top rather easily... enjoy!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it when I was there, we stayed high for most of the time, the 2nd day they opened the very top lift mid morning after about a metre overnight and it was the best snow I have ever seen

From Nagano station its less than an hour by local train. From Myoko station to Akakan or Akakura Onsen its about a 5-10 min taxi... I know there is an hourly shuttle bus between Onsen, Akakan, Ikenotaira and Suginohara which might stop at the station. If you are planning on staying there over night pretty much all of the accommodation will pick you up at the station and most will shuttle you to resorts.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
whats the best resort, in your opinion, in Myoko? I have only been to Suginohara but absolutely loved the place, but would like to check out the others. Is Seki Onsen worth the visit? It always seems to have tons of snow

what's ikenotaira onsen in myoko like?
Originally Posted By: spook
cool. i'm going to be staying near suginohara. all the main resorts sound fun

We stayed in Suginohara as well, a lot of pensions but not much in the way of nightlife. We stumbled upon one bar, which was cool and the wman in the penson said there was anizakaya down the street but we couldn't find it. (thats when we found the bar)
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I know there is an hourly shuttle bus between Onsen, Akakan, Ikenotaira and Suginohara which might stop at the station. If you are planning on staying there over night pretty much all of the accommodation will pick you up at the station and most will shuttle you to resorts.

Yep, the bus does stop at the train station (the stop is just on right as you exit the station). It took us to the Suginohara car park - where the hotel owner picked us up - in a snow-cat ! (the accom was half-way up the mtn)
  • 1 month later...