pedigree dogs & the big furore

Not sure it has hit Japan yet or not but a UK documentary aired here last night about the genetic disaster that is the inbreeding of pedigree dogs.

I saw an article in the news, and then due to the lack of watchable TV last night (hello are we in a low ratings time...) I stumbled across the whole show. WOW! WOW! WOW! I know they often sensationalise and highlight just the bits that help thier cause - but goodness me!

Article about the problems in Aussie Pure Breeds

I was particularly gob smacked as we breed dogs (greyhounds) and have looked very much into 'lines', 'genetics', 'purposeful breeding' etc - however it has always been about the "outcross" for us - always trying to bring in new blood. We have use a lot of USA and Irish sires for the reason of avoiding genetic issues. So I was particularly shocked that breeders of these purebreed dogs were advocating Mother/Son and Father/Daughter matings to breed for certain traits. Some of these animals were so mutated that they could not walk or breathe without pain.

thumbsdown

Have two dachshunds that are purebred but thankfully without any obvious mutations.

It is not unusual to see purebred dogs particularly border collies, german shepherds and dachshunds with deformed hind legs that prevent them from running or walking properly.

Also have seen a few dogs with one clear blue eye and one brown one which seemed a bit strange.

There has been an explosion of dog ownership over the last few years in Japan but with a very limited number of potential breeding pairs some breeders would go the mother/son and father/daughter route simply to keep up with demand.

It started with one Dumbstick...just like most obsessions.

Having a severe asthmatic at home we couldnt have any pets, so we bought a share in a greyhound that we could go watch race and pat at the track. He won a few low grade races, enough that with our share of the winnings we bought another dog - who won LOTS of races. We were hooked.

The asthmatic child is now 17 and responsible for his own ventolin, so we can have a couple of dogs at home (just not inside).

Papa's passion is breeding strong outcross dogs, and crossing his fingers for a 'stayer'. We have had a few good stayers over the years, but you are much more likley to throw 530m dogs.

We tried our hand at having our own breeding and rearing property, but the logistics of staff etc when it was not our primary business was too difficult to maintain long term - so now we are back to paying others to rear and race the dogs on our behalf.