The unreliability of snow at Honshu ski resorts in Japan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

I can often forgive less than perfect conditions when it's a magnificent day.

Quote:
You can never go wrong in either place.

Actually, you can. Quite a few people last season thought they had got it wrong. I was on the receiving end of some of those complaints myself!

Originally Posted By: SKI
lol

I can often forgive less than perfect conditions when it's a magnificent day.

Quote:
You can never go wrong in either place.

Actually, you can. Quite a few people last season thought they had got it wrong. I was on the receiving end of some of those complaints myself!

do tell...

Bourneville - it's a very localised thing as Honshu's a big island with a lot of prefectures which have skiing. The best skiing (and snow) that I had all last season was over last new year, at Alts Bandai, Fukushima, which is very definitely Honshu. Niseko's always pretty good, but our timing was a bit unfortunate last Feb and we ended up being there for 4 days without a significant fall of snow while we were there. Still well worth it, of course.

One other thing I'd say is that there is very definitely a Hakuba-Niseko power struggle going on on these boards, and Hakuba did not have a great season last year. This might give the impression that other places in Honshu didn't as well, but always make sure you get a range of views.

I'm just hoping 09-10 is going to be a good one everywhere.

SdS

Originally Posted By: Go Native
You did warn them it's all flat up here I hope! lol

lol

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Whilst I don't think the above statement is incorrect I would love to see some links to actual stats if you have them CB.

GN, I dont read the J-websites much other than looking for certain information, so I cant post webpages, but I do have a decade's worth of the J-ski mags, and the data is always in there. Ill see if I cant dig up some info from past years - planning on doing a Fall cleaning this weekend anyways smile

I know I have posted it before in another thread, but I wouldnt have any clue as to where to look. Id reckon its somewhere in a Niseko V. Hakuba or SIJ thread. This kind of debate has come up plenty of times, and the data is there and its done by the locals.
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
there are no more 'normal' seasons

Good quote. All the people here are wanting the 'normal' season after it being all over the place in recent history.
They weren't happy with too much snow either.
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
Um, seasons are getting more and more upredictable. Very few places get regular snowfall as they were reknown for 10 or 20 years ago. Global warming has made it a pretty chancy game.
Pick a place and pray.

there are no more 'normal' seasons

That's why I really like to see stats so claims like above can actually be substantiated or not. In Kutchan for instance the average snowfall in the 2000's has been about the same as that in the 1950's. The 1960's was the biggest decade averaging 13.51m! So far in the 2000's we've only averaged 11.1m.
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
The photo was taken on the opening day this year. 17th of April.
I think from memory it was 18 meters

That area is in a drifting zone which is why it accumulates so much.