The unreliability of snow at Honshu ski resorts in Japan

Thought that might get a few peoples attention. lol

Hi wave Writing from the UK and planning a trip to Japan.

Discounting talk from marketers and people with interests, it seems that last season wasn't too hot for the most part in Honshu. Well compared to usual anyway. Whereas Hokkaido did much better.

True?

Will that have an affect on where people might choose this year? I am still trying to decide and having fun finding out about it all.

Thanks, have some chocolate!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some places inflate how much snow they get others under measure *ahem* KAGURA *ahem*. Wouldn't say it is unreliable if you know the places well. Last season in Niigata, Kagura, Centre Maiko, Ishiuchimaruyama seemed to have a good amount as did Hakuba in Nagano the day I was there.

Do some research on the main pages and see what comes up.

Hi bournville wave

I think it probably will. Quite a few people came to this area and I would guess other areas closeby and were very disappointed... I heard talk of 'next year it's Hokkaido'. Silly or not. And how many people think that, who knows. I'd say we pretty much every year get more than enough, last year was just unseasonably patchy at times, and just fingers crossed for a good bumper season.

Rob: Kagura both under and over reports, depending on what is convenient to them at the time. That's what I think.

Every season every where has bad patches MB - Weren't people complaining that Niseko didn't have snow for 3 days last season?

Think nowadays with the indepth weather reports, people are more knowledgeable about the current weather and the forthcoming week. Wasn't 06 a shit season - how much did that affect the 07 season?

Put it this way - anyone seriously into their winter sports does research beforehand. Of course, overseas users can't jump on a plane and fly over whenever they want to. So those are the people that go up North this time around. But were last year's numbers that bad?

I agree with Ski. Last year's results will have almost no impact on my decision making (in a negative way) this year. In fact, because I have the luxury of being able to make weekend trips and last minute decisions I had a fantastic year last year. It was slightly shorter than usual but I had fresh pow almost every time I was on the hill (which was at least 25 times last season).

I also think that Muikabochi made a good point. I start every season with about two weeks in Hokkaido from the end of December to the beginning of January. This tends to reduce my chances of having bad luck early in the season... Once the season actually kicks in though its always honshu for me all the way! I don't think that honshu is suddenly unreliable. Just an anomaly.

Originally Posted By: thursday
just an anomaly that has lasted 3 seasons.

In the coming season(s) I'll make an effort to get to Naeba before it folds for good.

not true, Myoko had oodles of snow 2 years ago, Kagura was also quality that year. The snow up in Gran deco in Fukushima wasn't to be sniffed at either.

3 seasons......me arse!!

He has a point though in that the last two seasons has really not been bumper and the long term graphs show much less snow than there used to be many years ago and an averaged out declining amount of snow. The long term trend is most definitely less snow. Still lots though.

But resorts like Joetsu Kokusai near where I live and relatively low lying have really been struggling early and late season.

Kagura and Myoko are higher up, they will get snow and if it's bad up there it really is bad!

I have to say that 2 seasons ago in Myoko it was without a doubt off the hook. That's my usual haunt and 2 years ago was a the top of the list for best seasons I've had since moving here. I also remember an absolutely epic dump in Hakuba during New Years 2 years ago. Something crazy like 130cms in a day or so (and 2 meters over only a few days) Guess it really depends on where you end up picking for your trip.

But you are also mentioning specific weekends/days/periods in a season. We will surely always get those to a greater or lesser degree. Zoom out to see the season(s) as a whole though and the overall trend to get the bigger picture.

Just been looking at the Yuzawa Now from last seaoson though and big snowfalls were very few, I remember myself I never had to dig my car out of snow like I would usually have to. I am very much hoping to have to this coming December/January/February/March.

Yeah, I don't live in a place where we notice winter... AT ALL! Never have to shovel our or anything like that... usually the only snow I see is on the top of Mt. Fuji...

My experience is that 3 years ago was worse than last year. And 2 years ago was better than both of those years.

If we wanna go back further than I'll have to start searching the memory banks... painful right now!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I also remember an absolutely epic dump in Hakuba during New Years 2 years ago. Something crazy like 130cms in a day or so (and 2 meters over only a few days)

the epic dump in Hakuba...that was a lot of snow....i had to get the house dug out!!..
I remember opening the front door in the morning and thinking where do I start.
Locals were saying it was the biggest storm since 1981.
Originally Posted By: stemik
I also remember an absolutely epic dump in Hakuba during New Years 2 years ago. Something crazy like 130cms in a day or so (and 2 meters over only a few days)

the epic dump in Hakuba...that was a lot of snow....i had to get the house dug out!!..

My house a day after the epic dump
big20snow.jpg
Originally Posted By: stemik

yeah, FT's place was snowed in as well, it took the good part of the morning to really get the driveway cleared!! lol I got a few funny pics of Bushpig and I watching this girl trying to get her car out as one wheel was about 50cms off the ground lol

As far as the original question goes, Honshu seems to get bigger dumps than up North, while up North seems to get consistent dumps of (10) to 20-30 to (40)cms...thats not to say neither place has the opposite though.

The whole attitude of the agents is prolly bc they have stronger ties to Niseko than anywhere else in Japan...and Niseko needs to make up for the shitty year it had - numbers were way down.

You can never go wrong in either place. While the last few years have seen changes or irregularities in snowfall, both plus and minus, the most snow falling in Japan is Honshu. If you dont believe me, check ANY of the Japanese info out there.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
The whole attitude of the agents is prolly bc they have stronger ties to Niseko than anywhere else in Japan...

The stronger ties thing is purely because the big property management companies in Niseko are foreign owned and run and agents can do everything in english. We also have online booking systems for agents which make everything very easy for them. It's one thing we've learned over the years the easier you make it for an agent to book a property the more likely they will. I know from experience that booking Japanese managed proeprties is nowhere near as easy and almost always requires faxes!

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
While the last few years have seen changes or irregularities in snowfall, both plus and minus, the most snow falling in Japan is Honshu. If you dont believe me, check ANY of the Japanese info out there.

Whilst I don't think the above statement is incorrect I would love to see some links to actual stats if you have them CB.

The problem in recent seasons in Hakuba has been high temps producing rain not snow. Stuff's been falling from the sky, but only as snow in the high alpine.

The typical skier doesn't mind lack of snow at all if it means sunny days. Rain pisses off everyone.