I think Gifu, might have been a choke on yer part - Takasu is great - one of my favorite resorts, but If you are in the South of Gifu, it will take you upwards of 4 hours to get there.

In Nagano, everything is just so much more accessible. But of course, you run into the same problems if you are in the South of Nagano.

In any case, the backcountry is excellent, the hard part is finding people to hike with - most people are only up for a short hike, if at all. Reason being, there is plenty of powder for anyone who wants to duck a rope or two.

You also won`t be able to find that much stuff that is steep. Short lines, then it runs out into the same old same old.

This post is kinda negative compared to my previous one, so I will say that the powder here is world-class. probably better than what you are used to at Whistler, just by virtue of the un-track-outedness.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen Barok, Its too bad we didnt live closer together. I would have loved to have rode lines like the one you rode with OU. I think Nagano just gives you options. You can get to a lot of places easily, from Kanto to Kansai. That means from Tokyo to Osaka for the uneducated.

If you do find people to hike with and there are some, you can ski some crazy lines around Hakuba. I just wish I could have met you or ender a few more times but the pocket book did the talking.

I intend to do alot more Gifu BC after getting a good idea about whats up there.

Anyone know where to get good topo maps of the mountains with at least a 5 metre contour intival?

and or even better contoured arieal photographs.

Hope + the 100m contour interval of my mapple has worked so far but it could have easaly not have. ie if I just keep skiing in this direction I should find a snow covered road I can walk/ski along to get out.

Quote:
Originally posted by ILiveToSki:

I really want to get out skiing but am not sure how much cause I have some depts to pay.

Any other Jets on this forum paying depts and skiing. I would like to know how much you can save while skiing 4 or 5 times a month
Hey there
Im a JET in Nagano, just wrapping up my 3rd year. If you arent foolish with your money you can save loads. It depends a bit on where you live because the countryside is cheaper. Speaking for Nagano some people go nuts, spend nothing and save heaps but come pretty close to suicide because they have a sad life. Dont do that. Just take things in moderation. Get yourself a car and your life will be happier and get a season pass so you can ski guilt free. Best to see what passes other people have where you live so youve got a buddy to ride with. Seriously I think I spend less money in winter, but location plays a big part in that (I live super close).

You should be finding out pretty soon where you are eh? Let us know. Ive had a great 3 years, Nagano rocks!

Yeah I do, Im not an Eigo sensei JET but one of the 500 or so with a post title of coordinator of international relations or CIR. So I work for Iiyama city at the city office doing all sorts of stuff.

Zwelgen,

Sounds like a good job to have - Id love to be doing more translation work and setting up projects.

Niseko pass was 87,000 yen. It was damn expensive but quite worth it as I skied between 70-80 days clap.gif What a great winter that was \:D

Hope you enjoy your time here and get Nagano or Hokkaido as both are awesome!

Fattwins,

Yup, and most likely again this winter too. Niseko pow is just epic. It just keeps on dumping! clap.gif

Ive gotta find a job where I can just crawl outta some cave and be on the slopes or just become a real ski bum... but after last season Im hooked. heard this or read it somewhere but powder is the best drug in the world

I got my location finally.

All they told me is Gifu-Ken. I am assuming that is just the prefecture and not the city. If this is the case then I am going to be employed by a Board of Education or something in that nature with the definitive location coming soon.

Any JETs out there that have any idea what this job entails. They will not tell me at this moment.

If its the board of ed then you will be working in a high school ( and possibly junor high im not sure).

If you were working for the municipal government then you would be elamentry schools and kindergartens.

Gifu should be good, nice area - and some good resorts there too. Hopefully you'll be put within fairly easy reach of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by ILiveToSki:
If this is the case then I am going to be employed by a Board of Education or something in that nature with the definitive location coming soon.

Any JETs out there that have any idea what this job entails. They will not tell me at this moment.
Hey, good stuff. There are some really cool JETs in Gifu, youre in for a good year or more. Its really pretty there too, just hope youre in the northern part so its easier to get to Nagano heh heh.

Sounds like youll be employed at a high school. Either youll be a one-shot, going round differnt schools every day, or youll be at a base school and maybe move around a bit. Generally if youre a ken AET (which you are) it will be only high schools, city AETs get the jr high and elementry schools.

There are plenty of worse places to be than Gifu, you should feel lucky. Just remember when you arrive its going to be scorching hot and as humid as anything but dont despair, the snow will come!

If I have to go around to different schools do I get a car. That would be really cool.

So many questions. Why is the JET program so secret. What are they hiding from us new JETs. Is this an international plot for fresh meat in some prostitution and or drug and crime ring

Oh no you found out!

Youre going to be the new meat in town though seriously.

Dont hold your breath about the car. I dont know anyone that got given a car from their BOE (there are rumours though) but you can pick up one cheap but many people arent allowed to drive to work. Go figure.

Yeah, the Gifu skifields are the most underrated in Japan.Last season Dynaland possessed the biggest and safest kicker I`ve launched off.They have the only Superpipe I`ve seen/ridden in Japan.They also have some nice POW runs too when the conditions are right.You should have a sic time there.

PS The traffic jams if you live in the south of the prefecture on weekends are MURDER!!

OU you hit it on the head again it looks like we could have a new riding partner to take the place of the great dane. Gifu is nice snows then the snow comes out and bakes the snow. You will find that the train service is pretty good in Japan Ilive2ski. If your in the north of Gifu there are some nice resorts that none goes to. If your middle of the ken you will find the heart of the Japanese freestyle scene. Takasu has great all be it short BC so bring your gear.

Sounds like Gifu is a good place to be. I hope I end up in the north part though but if not, it does not matter. Just longer comutes to the hills. I'm used to that anyways. As for the small hills with big jumps that is cool as well. I could really use the practice as I have neglected that part of skiing the last couple of seasons.

Thanks for all the info.

What is this thing? wakaranai.gif