Even if your in the southern part of Gifu you will only have to drive one hour to get to the Takasu areas. On sunday or saturdayyou must leave the resort by 230 or the traffic jam will be horrible. I got caught in an 8 hour 20 km jam on one long weekend. They are building a new highway section by section so every year the jam should get smaller. They might have added a new 10 km section last month but im not sure. Im not sure cause I dont drive the road unless its for sking.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds good. i was worried about where I would be in Gifu as an earlier post said it would take 4 hours to get to good hills.

I guess Takesu is a town near a bunch of ski hills.

Is taking public tansportation not recomended or do most people just own cars.

Thanks

depends on where you live. A car can be cheaper or yet more expensive depending on your location of course. Next step is to find out exactly where you will be and then work out where to ski and how to get there.

Yo man, I'm from BC too, and just got back from a year in JP. You heading to Whistler this weekend? If so lemme know. As long as the weather holds out, I'll go for sure.

I was planning on it but weather looks sketchy. Not worth the 3 hour drive for chances of rain. I know it is skiing but costs start to add up when you go it rains and you only ski for an hour or two.

I want pure sun. I am thinking of going on Tuesday though and then for sure June 8th the last day of season.

Hopefully the weather is good for you though. I bet it will be because I am not going.

I hear you. I feel the same, especially because I don't have a pass... and 40 something bucks is a lot to pay for a shitty day. I just gotta get outside, all my outdoor activities have been rained out for 2 weeks now and I'm itching to get out there.

Nevermind, I just checked the weather... 40% POP is too much for me.

You from Van-city man?

No I'm from the great smelling town of Chilliwack. So the trip is anywhere from 2 1/5 - 3 hours from here. The possibility of rain is to much for spending 6 hours in my car. I've had to many excellent days up there to spend another day in the rain.

Your from Van I guess.

Why were you in Japan?

Ilivetoski I guess you might be are dane replacement for next season,eh. dane was are resident huckster last year, mayhem maker and half naked skier. If you hook up with him he can give you the low down and show you pics and vids maybe. He went a good 4 times to gifu and once to nagano with me and friends. Do bring all your ski gear and BC gear. remember with a ski bag you can carry a boot bag and a main bag. You need pit stick and shorts for the summer here. There is almost no pit stick in Japan bring as much as you think you need. most eveything else can be bought here on the cheap. I dont usally spend more then 1500 yen on a piece of regular clothes, thats abot 12 bucks. I shop at uniqlo the gap of japan (the way the gap was 10 years ago when it was cheapish). If you have feet over size ten shoes will be a problem in japan. Anything over 28 cms (foot size) is hard to find. Bring enough soap for a month or so after that just buy it here. I usally bring stuff like paramesan chesse the big one. italian spices for cooking and that sort of stuff.

Yah, I'm from NVan. Not nearly as bad a drive as from Chilliwack.

I was in Japan for coop. Great experience. And like Nick (fattwins) said, I skiied a lot with him, among several others on this board -- you'll meet a lot of great people... especially in Gifu! I lived near Nara city, which was a logistical nightmare for riding...

Hey there Danes

If you want to do some summer skiing I always try and hit up Cheam and Lady Peaks. There the two big mountains above Chilliwack and the highway. You may have seen them on your way through town.

Probably ski them in late June. Snow is melting fast up there. I skied them last year though in July linking up 5 or 6 snow patches.

Thanks for all the info Fattwins. Keep it coming. I am really trying to decide what to bring. I am thinking one pair of clothes and then all my outdoor gear.

As for the backcountry stuff. I own skis and skins but that is all. I am with SAR out hear so I get to steal it for myself and friends whenever I want. I will have to purchase it though very soon as my days with them are limited.

Don`t listen to Dane and Fattwins, I Live to Ski, those guys are delusional.

- first off, they are really snowboarders disguised as skiers, hell bent on powder, park riding, building jumps, and causing trouble on the hill - things that no respectable skier would be into.

- second, Takasu is crap, went there once, and I`ll never go back, straight up truth. there is nothing for you there. it`s like a 100 meter bunny hill, with way too many Nagoyers. avoid it at all costs. \:D lol.gif

u would do well to listen to barok. u don't want to fall in the wrong group straight out!!

i'm in a nice book club in nagoya, and we hit the slopes each week. no raucus shinanigans, and the person who comes up with the funniest blurb gets to wear some comedy ear muffs on the slopes. its a hoot!

those west end hoons are just out to give gaijin a bad name.

stick with me... i'll see u right ;\)

Come on now barok your the worst of the lot. no hiking for pow only sking the low runs cause its too cold at the top for you. pow to barok is what the snowmakers make the night before.

I fotgot to say that he has the early season gully backstroke down pat. go a little left of him and you can watch him swim.

Really eh. I didn't know about those spots. How long/straightforward is the hike to snow (ie. is it a lot of bushwacking)?

When do you leave for Japan?

I leave either on July 26 or August 2. Havn't been told yet.

Cheam and Lady are really easy to get to. Logging roads take you right up to alpine. Can get to 2100 metres within 2hours top. No bushwacking involved.

I have some pictures of me skiing them at

http://bivouac.com/

Just go to Authors and then find Matt Lucas

It is a rather reserved site for info on mountains and roads so not very exiting unless you like to look at mountains. Its run by the BCMC so NOT LIKE Danes website at all but a great referance.

Oh no I am double posting myself.

I'm not sure who to believe. The snowboaders or skiers. naturally I would beleive the skiers as they are usually much more hardcore having stuck with it through the bad times.

I am so confused. Who to listen to. I do not know.

Well maybe you should believe Barok then, cuz he is really a skier at heart and we all know it. Why else would he spend so much time riding with those freestylin fools? lol.gif Plus he isn't very dedicated...I mean, he didn't even snowboard 70 times this season. \:D

Yo Dane! Whassup man? How is life away from Japan treatin you? I'm coming back next week man. Gimme a buzz if your gonna be in Seatown and I'll hit you up if I'm North of the border.

Still not sure yet \:\( \:\( \:\( . Soon I will be this however mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif .

From my emails many of the new JETS have there locations already and have contacted there predesessors. I hope not much longer though as I am getting tired of the anticipation every time I go to the mail box.

Kind of like Christmas if Santa Clause kept delaying coming down the chimney.

Yo dude its because youre a ken AET, the city ones get designated directly from CLAIR but the ken AETs names get given to the pref office that then divvies people out and then sends it out. Nagano ken just sent theirs out today so you should be hearing sometime next week methinks. Maybe even hear sooner if youve got an overzealous predecessor.

As for me, no one replacing me as a Chinese dude coming next April. So anyone want anything from my house? Anyone?