I'm new to the board so I will introduce myself

I live in BC but am moving to Japan in the end of July for teaching job with JET. I will know where by the end of the month. Hopefully near a good hill.

I ski every weekend at Whistler as I have student season pass (it was really cheap). My lift serviced skiing goes until June 8th ans then hopefully I will get a few days backcountry before leaving for Japan.

Because everybody likes to know technical stuff

Skis - Salomon 1080

Future Skis - Fat ski most likely K2 AK Launcher or AK enemy or maybe the new Rossi B3

Bindings - I really want to get the Fritchi Freeride but now I use markers.

I ski the steeps on Blackcomb and love the feeling of exposure while traversing and skiing some very steep lines

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you made it clear to the JET guys that you wanted to be in the mountains.

Dont think of Japan as Whistler if you do you will be disapointed. You can ski a lot of powder in Japan cause not as many people ride it here. People are starting to ride it more but you can still find huge amounts of pow a week or more after a storm.

A year ago I was in the same boat (only it was my wife on jet I got a job when we got here)

We got a bit carried away with our location preference and put Niseko as our no1 spot (there is only one jet job in Niseko i think) no 2 was Kutchan a town not far from Niseko and pick no 3 was Otaru my hometowns sister city and about an hour from Niseko.

What we got was Iwate - Lots of the ppl here had also chosen Hokkaido but got put here instead - next best thing I guess.

good luck.

I got three choices to pick from

first Gifu

second Nagono

third Sapporo or Hoikaido I can't remember

I really want to get out skiing but am not sure how much cause I have some depts to pay.

Any other Jets on this forum paying depts and skiing. I would like to know how much you can save while skiing 4 or 5 times a month

If you are in a snow town, as a JET you MIGHT be able to use the lift passes that teachers get - so you might get lots of skiing for free! But then again, you might not.

As the most popular and widely used JET phrase goes >> "case by case".

Good luck!

I'm paying of a mountain of debt and skiing lots more than 5 times a month - get a season pass somewhere and itll end up cheaper than not going skiing (cos if you dont go youll end up at the shops/bar/restaurants etc..)

I really hope I end up near a ski hill. I will know where next week sometime. The bigger the better. I guess if I was not skiing I would be shopping and travelling elsewhere spending lots of money.

That is a new concept.

Save money by skiing. Funny

You will be able to buy a car, and a season pass, and misc gear, live a relatively comfortable lifestyle complete with weekend partying, pay for gas, go skiing 8-10 times a week, travel here and there, and still save between 800 and 1000 CAD a month. To top it off, your job will be too easy to believe. I know a few Nagano Jets. They have it rough. ;\)

Gifu where

Nagano Where

Cities Please. Gifus Ok but it wont turn your crank as much as Nagano. You can huck your meat anywhere in Gifu though good but short BC, good but short trees, Best park in Japan at takasu snow park. Season passes at these places are about 6 man. The trick is to find a chick that will go with you and you can get a pass for 20000man each lovers seasons pass.

Get your International drivers licence. You can buy cheap cars here. Barok got a great deal that would have cost over 5000 in Canada. He paid 1/5 the price. Again what cities I will pin point them and tell you if they are close to some resorts.

I was only given prefectures to pick from. When I first picked the locations I was under the impression that skiing would be very expensive so I picked for hiking quality. But now it seems like I will be skiing lots so hopefully I donn't get screwed.

But coming here at the end of July? Man you'll be in for the surprise of your life(scorching, melting heatwave)! :p Not to worry, the down time will give you plenty of time to get settled in, acquainted with your surrounding and plan for next season. \:\) Good luck and enjoy nippon!

In your boat maybe Nagano is best. I think the Niseko seasons pass is very expensive. Does anyone know the cost I think 90000 yen?

Hakuba passes are only 60000? Also within 2 hours of Nagano City there are about 20 great resorts.

PS If you can inquire about cities do so. Sking is pretty cheap here. Skis are about the same price and sometimes cheaper. Clothes last years stuff is so cheap. 100 dollars for a good jacket same or less for pants. If you look hard you can by sets for 100 dollars. Buy your avie gear in Canada though.

Avie geer is expensive everywhere.

Is there lots backcountry skiers in Japan or is relativly untouched.

Prices sound good though for downhill equipment. I always like looking for great deals and tend to waste many days looking in stores for deals but never being able to buy them. Trouble with being dirt poor. Can't wait to get paid big money

Buy from MEC and get your parents to send it later. also the BC is usally pretty much untouched, so many lines. so much fresh snow.

I skied 40 days this year 30 of which I skied powder one every run that I wanted to. I ski at a resort that gets less than hokkaido or the Hakuba areas.