Learning to ski - being taught by a friend or by an instructor

lol

stemik - not me no but I've never had lessons. My friend had a 'complete waste of money' experience though and ended up demanding money back and a big mess. I was just pointing out that like everything not all instructors will be ace.

Very true.

And some are good, but just not in those circumstances.

My kids had an instructor in the beginning who was much happier instructing more advanced/older people - he was quite mean - the kids did not have fun. However with the more experienced group he was awesome.

My first experience was with an instructor. Waste of time. Too many people and we seemed to spend most of our time on lifts or shuffling about.

When is a lesson supposed to begin anyway? The first 15 minutes of our 2 hours was on lifts. Doesn't seem right.

I'm not saying there aren't excellent instructors, the above was just how I experienced it.

Hi Bulgaria

I a am self taught skiier as I couldn't afford a pass or an instructor.

But I believe if some one had given me a few tips to start of it would have been handy.

Especially for lifts.

When I learnt to snowboard I had 1 lesson and then the rest was getting out there.

So my advise would be spend a couple of bucks on 1 x 2-4 hour lesson then go join your friends.

Seemore

I was taught how to ski by my parents when I was a kid and later by my cousin who was an instructor. In between I managed by myself.

Now snowboarding, For the first 2 days my wife taught me, and the 3rd day by an European instructor who made a huge leap on my progress. I reckon sooner or later you would really get a lot out from a professional, I mean TEACHING PROFESSIONAL, not someone who had done a course for a few months and got a certificate. There is a big difference from someone who wants to be (including who already is ) a instructor to someone who can teach.

Also, even though one is fresh, one might be good at teaching (rare case), and one might be a great skier/boarder but shite at teaching.

Makes this process more difficult/ hit and miss . Bummer huh.

Probably word of mouth is the best way to find a good instructor.

A friend who knows what they're doing will probably teach you the basics reasonably well, but they'll probably also let you develop some bad habits (probably because they won't notice them).

If you can afford it, professional instruction is the way to go.

SKI,

my instructor spoke Italian and German with a little bit of English but mostly he spoke in German. What was great was he was able to demonstrate the dynamics. He even showed me what he called the American and the European style of snowboarding. How a turn can be initiated in different ways in a one hour lesson. What was great was he was preparing me for edge-to-edge weigh-unweigh stuff (ski, board basically similar thing here) not the sliding the tail out and brake and turn, and this is on my third day.

So, IMO a great instructor doesn't need that much vocabulary.

And, I am glad that I got a lesson really early on. After 10 days, I can come down pretty much on the fall line anywhere on piste, no traverse or side slides. I don't mind moguls either but that comes from my ski background.

Damn lucky I had him.

I think every single bloke should teach their girlfriends.

It will be an accellerated relationship test.

No likey.........on your bikey.

ok I'm ready for the brickbats ladies stir

Well Papa and I PASS!

Papa was testing me out/challenging me and teaching me new stuff (mainly t-bar) this weekend and we got on GREAT! At that point in the learning curve I think it when it is good it is very very good, when it is bad it is very very bad.

You are gonna either get:

a) C'mon love, seriously are you retarded? - NO! Knick off, I dont know why I am getting you to teach me anyway YOU SUCK.

or

B) Honey! Legend! You are really impressing me. - ohh gee thanks hon - seriously babe I am SO proud of you.

We got lucky.

yeah, us, too. It does bring out our personalities ...

My wife was really patient.

me: traverse, tuuurn ...smack ! traverse, tur...n smack! "wait, wait, I can do this" smack!

wife: "geez, you are quick getting up. My ex-boyfriend took ages getting off his butt"

me: " thanks. the more I fall, the quicker I learn. Plus it's embarrassing I'm the only noob here" smack! "what am I doing wrong?" smack!

wife: "like this ...oh, you'll work it out"

me: smack !

wife " Do you wanna rest? hungry ! "

me " No! don't distract me with food. I want to get this first" smack !

wife " How about chocolate?'

me " Ah, ok " smack !

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
yeah, us, too. It does bring out our personalities ...
My wife was really patient.

me: traverse, tuuurn ...smack ! traverse, tur...n smack! "wait, wait, I can do this" smack!
wife: "geez, you are quick getting up. My ex-boyfriend took ages getting off his butt"
me: " thanks. the more I fall, the quicker I learn. Plus it's embarrassing I'm the only noob here" smack! "what am I doing wrong?" smack!
wife: "like this ...oh, you'll work it out"
me: smack !
wife " Do you wanna rest? hungry ! "
me " No! don't distract me with food. I want to get this first" smack !
wife " How about chocolate?'
me " Ah, ok " smack !

Nice one Jynxx

Now re-read your dialogue and imagine it is not a snow story - are you sure this did not happen in the bedroom?
rollabout