OK...I give up - here's the breakfast thread.

Rob asked in the Chat Box "what the hell is English Spinach" (which I had in the middle of the omlette I had for breakfast yesterday).

Here is English Spinach:

1078_lg.jpg

It is a bit milder and easier to cook than Silver Beet. Just lay the fresh leaves onto the omlette as it finishes cooking and fold upon itself - cooked to perfection.

So, have you had any interesting breakfasts lately?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I did breakfast better.

I always want that extra 10 minutes in bed and then end up rushing.

Usually just something like toast and coffee.

Girl I know has natto and rice. Yikes.

I love it when I'm back home (UK home) and I have nice breakfasts then especially when I'm out and about.

I was boring this morning - I had a half pce (about 75-100g worth) of Red Wine marinated scotch fillet steak cold from the fridge with a couple of strong black coffee's.

I went shopping yesterday and stocked up on cereal to fill my kids requests - I think I make cooked breakfasts too often because they all wanted cereal this morning. Hence rather than cook I used up leftovers. (No carbs for this little black duck).

Rob,

It's an aussie thang ... When we say spinach it really is silver beet. The spinach as known in england and japan is called english spinach in australia .

Ma'bear,

Did you know that you have to dip the spinach in hot water to get rid of the bitter brown stink. Not too long, and squeeze the liquid out. Yeah, I can hear people saying you are draining all the goodness, It's not crunchy ... Try it. You'll find it a lot sweeter.

It's also japanese wisdom to take a lot of veg in a small portion. Properly prepared (cooked) veg is so much easier to digest, unless you are a sick dog ...

Breakfast ? german bread or porridge. Breakfast of champions.

Dunno what spinach you been eating Jynxx but mine was sweet as!

Papa is a fruit and veg man remember - the stuff I had was the baby spinach - I also use it like lettuce - it tastes fabulously sweet without blanching.

Oh that sounds good, well the part without the coke anyway.

I just had some toast/jam and coffee. I would rather have 15 minutes extra in bed than getting up and doing big breakfast.

OK Indo....off to do a google search to find out what the heck that is...but feel free to explain in the meantime!! confused

Ahhh!!! Spinach in Sesame dressing!!!!! Yes I have eaten that before - never knew what it was called though!

1.15houresnou-3.jpg

I love Silver Beet actually.. but any old spinach will do me.

Raw, preferably or just chucked into a hot meal when served.

There are a few varieties in our community garden.. the red stalk ones, the yellow stalked ones and some other things i have no idea what they are, but taste delish in a salad..

I love fresh weed leaves..