Getting rid of ads in gmail?

Hey maybe someone can help me. Is there a way to turn off the ads that appear all over the place in gmail? It's getting annoying and I'd like them to be gone. Can't find any setting though it's probably staring me in the face!

friend

It doesn't seem to be them all but ads appear on the right hand side column, like they do on google itself. Of course, I try to ignore them but it's annoying.

I suppose it's the price for being free.

Originally Posted By: rach
It doesn't seem to be them all but ads appear on the right hand side column, like they do on google itself. Of course, I try to ignore them but it's annoying.

I suppose it's the price for being free.

the right column is the sponsored links, someone is paying google for those ads to be there ergo there isn't a way of turning them off. Thankfully they are unobtrusive enough: text only and not large flashing gifs or animated flash ads.

Opera - block content
Firefox - adblock
are two great ways to block annyoing gifs and flash ads on other websites

I like gmail as the search function is faster than outlook/thunderbird etc.

It doesnt work on IE8 on my laptop though(!). Many google apps dont work on my IE8 for some reason.

I know about the sponsored links thing SG - I just want to get rid of it. Seems I can't. One of the reasons I'll only use it when I don't have my computer with me.