Proud owners (or soon to be owners) of new gear

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, that hurts. As I mentioned in the chat box, I've made a deal with my wife not to buy any new gear this year. In return I get extra time on the hills...

If I could I'd be buying:

Burton Fish 160 with C60 bindings (for my uber long trip to Hokkaido this winter!)...

I should stop thinking about this as I'm only just getting started!

Doing a complete new kit out for the family in Tokyo Dec 23 (watch out for melted credit cards!).

Havent decided on gear yet.

We all need new pants and jackets (well SOME of the kids who have had replacements due to growth might not).

New boots for me and eldest cub - I love my boots but they are wearing thru where the BOAs rub, and I got a fair bit of heel lift this last trip due to the inners compressing over time.

New boards - kids want and/or need new ones due to growth and rock/rail damage. I am tossing up whether to keep my K2 Luna (which I love) and ride that in Japan, or buy a slightly longer board just for Japan and keep the K2 for Aussie conditions. Whatever I do I will need new bindings, they were bottom of the range when I bought them and they look it now. They are seizing and slipping from time to time.

Goggles - I found I was riding with my gogg's up in poor visibilty in Oz last week, and that spells BRAIN FREEZE in Japan - so some new goggles with perfect lenses for J-land is the go.

Thats about it.

Will report when it is bought smile

Probably true Thursday.

And believe me we are looking.

We have just bought the block next door to our business and expansion works begin in November, so I cant see us buying THIS year as we would like to hold some cash in reserve for over runs on building estimates - but the year after looks promising.

Although that is a long way off - and anything can happen between now and then.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Planning on taking the video camera on the slopes?

yes. got any advice on video cams?

Originally Posted By: Jstevo
Going to get some K2 Pontoons

I like em - have a pair of 189s, but they suck monkeyballz on ice as its damn hard to get an edge, and chatter at high speeds on hardpack. Obviously for pow but sometimes you gotta traverse to the lifts. I like my 186 Lhasas soooo much better, and they slarve much better than the Toons do. You can ski really tight trees and move around as if youre on a short ski.
Originally Posted By: Hotaka Scott
cool thread thumbsup

Originally Posted By: thursday
they don't look like teles to me.
- in reference to GN's gear

I was thinking the same thing. Is there now one less telemarker on SJ??

Most of my skiing will probably still be on tele's (knees willing) but I'm getting this AT setup for big mountain touring, specifically for the ski mountaineering trip next year in China.

Snowboards? Probably not unless we see something really good @big discount price.

Maybe a powder board for her. Thinking of splitting one.

Wife need new pants and 1/2 size bigger boots. Bit disappointed she didn't pick up 1/2 size bigger when we bought it last year. Shit happens.

As for skis, There are 1/2 dozen skis of her parents hanging around, All good. They got a new pair last year.

Maybe a new Salomon boots for her.

Sorry for the disappointing news.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: Hotaka Scott
cool thread thumbsup

Originally Posted By: thursday
they don't look like teles to me.
- in reference to GN's gear

I was thinking the same thing. Is there now one less telemarker on SJ??

Most of my skiing will probably still be on tele's (knees willing) but I'm getting this AT setup for big mountain touring, specifically for the ski mountaineering trip next year in China.

Glad to hear, and looking forward to the TR.

Yay ! Just came back from shopping, we found a Vans BFB (best fukin boot) that fits my wife for 50 euros. Last pair. Hard to find. Lucky ! She wanted it last year after wearing mine but couldn't find one and settled for Encore BOA.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
yes. got any advice on video cams?

Unfortunately I don't, I haven't rocked a video camera on the slopes before. Just taken my normal digital camera out and shot some crappy video using it.

I'm thinking about picking up a new one though. One of the more ruggedized ones so hopefully it'll weather the slopes better. I'd be super happy if they have one of those that also includes GPS as well. geotagging is some neat stuff.