Hi

Myself and my family of wombles will be making our way skiing for the first time this coming winter.

I'd like to ask a really basic question. I'm not looking for specific resort names or towns or anything like that now - just what you think we should be looking for in a ski resort for beginners. What do you think are the important things to look for with my criteria?

Any words of advice would be really appreciated.

Great to find such a unique site and hope to stick around and still be enjoying it after we try it out!

I'd say wide gentle slopes is good, and a place that does some decent grooming so that the slopes are nice and easy for you early on.

A place to stay near or on the slopes too, not great carting gear around not the best first impression.

Personally I'd say go somewhere that is known for having lots of decent weather and fine days.

I know a few people who have been put off the whole experience by going to the wrong place, wrong steep slopes in a blizzard etc and never gone back.

You're off to a good start by being in Japan...

When my brother, a friend and I first went snowboarding, we went to an Australian resort, stayed in a town nearly 20km away from the slopes and had lessons all 5 days. After hitting ice patches (death nuggets) then tearing my knee out, we came to the conclusion that we should go somewhere with ski-in/out accommodation and nice snow. (Japan was our first choice)

Lessons are a good idea when starting, but once you know how to turn and stop (on a snowboard anyway) it becomes sort of redundant and you learn more just being out there, unless you are getting trained for big air/park stuff.

Shiga Kogen would be pretty good for beginners, as it has such a wide area, that the crowds can be a bit more spread out. Also, it allows you to progress in the time that you are there, as there is a wide range of runs going from nice wide easy groomers, to straight down black runs.

Agree with you about Japan POW being a perfect choice for beginners - the falls are WAY less painful!

But dont necessarily agree with this statement...

Originally Posted By: Sciclone
Lessons are a good idea when starting, but once you know how to turn and stop (on a snowboard anyway) it becomes sort of redundant and you learn more just being out there, unless you are getting trained for big air/park stuff.

I took some lessons in Niseko after I had the basics of linking turns consistently on green runs/linking mostly on intermediates - mainly due to the fact that Papa was out of action with a knee reconstruction and I was hiring a renta-friend.

Those lessons were some of the best I have had.

I learnt a lot about controlling the board through a variety of methods thru drill after drill, and also got taken places I probably (ok, definitely!) wouldnt have ventured on my own.

Having said that I havent had a lesson since then (almost 2 years) - but I am actually pumped to be able to have a few more lessons in Niseko in January.

Lessons with a skilled and personable instructor are the bomb!

I have never had lessons and probably picked up lots of bad habits from my friend who basically held my hand at the beginning. Didn't turn out too bad though. wink

Just have fun is the most important thing, after all thats what it's about.

Wide open not too busy slopes is a good place to start

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Lessons with a skilled and personable instructor are the bomb!

That's probably the difference. We were in a class of about 15 with all of us first time boarders. The young guy that was instructor knew how to board (he was also a surfing instructor) but I don't think he could relay that to us effectively, especially in a large class like that (him getting wasted and having a hangover from the night before wouldn't have helped either). I learnt more hammering down Furano 1.5years later, than I did in the 4 half day lessons that we had.

If I was going to try doing some jumps and stuff I'd consider personal tuition, but I don't think big group lessons with an inexperienced (from a teaching POV) instructor is any better than learning the basics then just going and having fun in fresh pow..

Good point Sciclone.

I think I have been very lucky with instructors, on the whole they have been awesome - great interpersonal skills as well as good tuiton. I have always had privates - but a friend last week had one private and one group lesson, and said the group lesson was WAY better just because the instructor really knew his stuff.

I'd also suggest that a good range of apres activities is worthwhile.

If you are a beginner, you may not want to hit the mountain for every minute of your holiday, so a break here and there, shopping or whatever, is a good alternative option.

In addition, if you arent relatively fit, or you take a big tumble, you might need a day off