In the last month, my parents have been to the funerals of 4 of their friends. It has been a grim month for them. I wonder what it's like when you are getting older and your friends and people of your age are passing away like that. I know the timing of these all coming at the same time has been particularly bad, but... You must be wondering 'who's next' and I have been feeling rather sad for my parents.

:(

I can imagine the Japanese funeral might be a drawn out affair. Anyone with much experience of that?

4 in a month, that is an unfortunate run. I was talking with my mum about this kind of thing over summer. She seems fairly - for want of a better word - 'prepared', though she's in fairly good condition and nothing particularly wrong with her just advancing years. I suppose when you get older your mindset just changes. Good word that mindset, pinched it from some other thread here.

A few of my parents friends have been going in the last year or two my mum was quite upset over summer when one of her lifelong best friends died very suddenly. Was a big shock that.

brother of a colleague copped it last week. He was 49, in good health. What can you say? "at least he had a good innings". Nahh. Cliche that makes every body feel bad.

Think his mother took it really not well. He lived with her and was unmarried.

Havent been to a funeral (grand-dad) since 1992 [touch wood].

Have been lucky with no one close dying.

My parents are very active members of the local bowling club (lawn) and naturally the average age of those bowling clubs is very high and the turnover is quite something. My parents are often going to funerals, many of the people I have met over the years too.

• 2 weeks later...

It is well known that excess weight has a detrimental effect on your health and can lead to early death - not always, but it is a risk factor. However there is a group who pass away early usually from heart failure or some terminal illness - usually late 40s early 50s - a lot of these are not overweight.

It is sad when someone dies so young and leave young family behind, and is not 'organised'. My uncle passed away at 46. His only son who was 15 was the one to find him. He had heart trouble and had been unable to get life insurance. The family lost everything, and the child carryed the burden of not being able to revive his Dad, even though he had been dead for a number of hours before he started CPR. My cousin is only now (in his mid 30s) getting his life together.

Fat bastard or not Thurs, the guy is a human being - and there is a human impact from his death.

You've handed to run over to me now! Grrr.

This morning I am attending the funeral of a father from my boys school. His son is 12, and a class mate and rubgy team mate of my 12 yr old - great kid. His daughter is in her leaving year - just about to do her final exams. He was a Dr., a fit and healthy man, and fiercely dedicated to service to the school. He served as the parents auxillary president right up until the day he passed away. The evils of an aggressive cancer. Farewell Chris! :(

Another of my friends lost her husband to cancer YESTERDAY - so there will be his funeral next week. Farewell Andrew :( Andrew was a little older than Chris, but still far too young.

Rest in Peace Gentlemen.

Was a fabulous celebration of a much too short life. His kids were freaking amazing - the speeches they gave in honour of thier Dad were incredible.

Been downing a bottle of wine over lunch with a teary friend all arvo, and feeling guilty for sending the kids back to school to deal.

Right about now I am SO glad we have been taking time to holiday, spend time with our kids and suck the marrow out of life - coz this aint no dress rehearsal!

Long long time ago, in a job far far away, there was this coporate communications manager who made a mistake in some of the marketing literature.

The finance manager of the company suggested that the company would sustain heavy losses due to the mistake. In effect covering her own arse as she sounded out the possiblity and put it on record.

As anyone knows, marketing literature is for reference purposes only and prices can go down as well as up, etc. read the small print.

The corporate comms manager got flustered and worried, so much so that after 3 days, she jumped out of her bathroom window to end the torment. A few hours before that, a few of us had asked her to lunch as we saw there was something amiss. But she said she had to take the afternoon off.

I can only imagine what other outcome there could've been if we had been more insistent.

But anyhow, when the news broke, the finance manager could only say that it was not her fault. Why would somebody say that at the first instance if not to try to convince herself that it was not her fault. Bitch.

I went to the funeral and could stay only about 5 minutes. I just hated the way the guilty acted her sadness at the occasion.

I left that company soon afterwards.

She was 31, leaving behind mother, father and sibblings. The parents were not at the funeral. You shouldn't be seeing your own kids off.