• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niseko was the only nighta I have been to that I really enjoyed.

I was disappointed with the nighta in Hakuba and also in Yuzawa when I was there. Perhaps I'm just not a nighta person.

thursday - you're right. But my point was that Hirafu has far more open for a nighta than any other resort I've been to. Some of the best skiing I've ever had has been in the trees off the top triple at night. Mindblowing stuff!

At other resorts, it's often one freeze-thaw lower slope lit up and nothing else.

SdS

stemik, my guess is that nighta is in a different league in Niseko than it is in Hakuba. I bet the numbers are rather different. Whether it gets into profit or near to it or not, ? , but 'worth it' in lots of other ways.

With lots of resorts cutting down nighta, you've got to think in general it isn't really worth it and they have been bleeding money.

yeah, that what i was thinking...most resorts must run Nightas at a loss, I know that Happo does and probably the same for Goryu.

Is it worth it to have a nighta just to say that you can night ski at one particular resort in the evening - but nobody goes....

Very interested in the Niseko nighta business - is it mainly foreigners or Japanese?

hmmmm...enough to be profitable - not sure.

But as a business person, even if the days were assisting to fund the nights I would see the nights as a bonus for our business as it is 'the point of difference'. People world over are visiting and really feeling they are a) getting thier moneys worth out of thier lift tickets (as most lift tickets include nights), and b)enjoying the newfound flexibility of not stopping for the day when the resort says so at 4pm or 4.30pm.

They go home and tell thier friends. Thier friend book to come also. Good business if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: snowbender
Niseko nighta is just simply much better than Hakuba nighta and more reliable. So we're comparing rather different things here.

it does seem to be so much better. I wonder if that was developed for the Japanese who used to ski Hokkaido for longer periods than skiing Honshu, and maybe not as tired as driving for 3-4 hours in the morning, for the overnight trip

If you do a nighta in Hakuba don't even bother with the Happo and Goryu nightas which are tiny bunny run areas that take two turns before its over . Go down the road to Kashimayari (about 15 minutes drive). If its dumping its great. Lots of vertical and two runs with a forest area in between which lets in enough light to see by.

The runs have a bunch of good hits to huck off and its usually deserted!

If it isn't snowing or hasn't snowed that day I wouldn't bother though (and that goes for any nighter including niseko's)

mamabear once again hit the nail exactly on the head. I don't know the economics, but even though Niseko's nighta may not actually make money, the fact that they do it makes the resort more attractive for serious skiiers / boarders over all.

If it was just one short lift at the bottom of Hirafu, then we'd all be down at the pub instead, but because they enable you to ski more or less top to bottom, it's a whole world of difference. It's cold, fresh, uncrowded and you can see exactly what you are doing.

I'm a pretty enthusiastic skiier (my handle hopefully says it all), but before going to Hirafu I rarely bothered with nightas - too much effort at the end of a long day when you could be in the onsen or bar instead. Hirafu changed this - which is why I when I'm there I am really physically exhausted every night. But in a (very) good way.

SdS