• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just seen that one. Gets annoying after about 1 minute!

I want this! I want this!  

Fashionably over a barrel at least.....  

Hardware looks good, but no multitasking and limited to Apple Stores. It's as if Apple is turning into Micro$oft. No disk mode. It is begging to be jailbreaked (jailbroken?).

Basically a big reader/player. Very pretty and nice to have, but not life changing. Data entry/transfer look limited compared to a netbook.

At the moment, no way too expand on the hdd, it's hermetically sealed like the airbook. the ssd is a good idea, the way forward, but they are still pretty expensive for what they are.

But no USB port (well according to wikipedia that is). I guess they are going for the book and movie avenue more than a netbook.

Does this mean it's going to dominate over the iPhone? Wondering as it comes with speakers and a microphone.

Exactly, it is just an ipod touch with bigger screen. It has the same OS. There are some reports that it will be a gaming platform, but I doubt it will have the power to match even PSP.

I think they are going after Kindle and hoping it will be used by professionals to manage contacts, mail, documents in an lighter/easier way than a laptop. What I think is, it is too much of a jack of all trades. You cant use touch screen for office applications.

I think the USB thing may be related to keeping it hackproof as you say.

It seems Sony has got good at making things hackproof - PS3 was only just hacked the other day after being on market a long time. The latest PSP is also not hacked yet.

To be a netbook beater, they need a nice interface to MS Office - like a keyboard and mouse. I guess they can make a software based touch keyboard at the bottom of the screen.

The gaming thing will depend on people using the multitouch. Its the same as the Wii though. Most games will make poor use of the new capability, which like the Wii, probably isn't up to any serious gamer's level of recognition anyway. If Flash is too heavy for the processor, proper games sound like a total non-starter.

Some of the interface stuff like the photo viewer looks amazing, but then they basically cripple it by putting it a device with limited storage considering what you can put in, no USB or SD card out of the box, and poor file transfer centered on iTunes. With the searching and font controls, some books may be easier to read on it than when printed, but printed books don't break, don't need batteries, and you can lend them to your mates.

For websurfing on the sofa though, it looks completely wicked.

Originally Posted By: thursday
this is something new. An entertainment device that can do many types of entertaining.

Rather flashy looking piece of kit. Can't wait to touch one.

so can the iPod and iPhone though.
Originally Posted By: 1
Yep looks sexy to me. Give me one.

Sorry, 1!

Looks like you'll have to part with some hard earned! (Quite a bit too, by the sound of things!)
Originally Posted By: thursday
hardware-01-20100127.jpg

Nothing there to give a sense of scale. What use is a pic of a pretty thing that could be 20 inches wide or 2?

lol

Huge radio jokes about the iPad and feminine hygeine going on in Perth at the moment. It is actually quite hilarious. I would be surprised if this product really takes off.

Poor level of usefulness over and above what already exists.

Too bulky to lug around in your back pocket.

And a stupid name.

Although having a 61yr old mother who has just acquired an iPhone I do see advantages for the older set ("Honey, can YOU read what this says?")