Rumours swirling around now for a while but seems that Apple might be launching a 10" screen "tablet" computer soon. All very interesting to see how it turns out and who the market is for this thing.

There's an Apple conference next week, wonder if Jobs will be there and what he will announce....

Interesting "anti-" talk about it here. God forbid.

>>

This is not a good thing. If an Apple tablet is ever actually released, we should all be very concerned for the future of what most of us take for granted today: our digital freedom.

The Apple tablet will likely sit somewhere in between the iPhone and a Mac laptop. But it won’t just blur the line between them—-it will attempt to erase it. This should scare you because it will be the biggest leap yet towards the notion of a completely closed “desktop†operating system.

Much of the iPhone’s success is due to the fact that it’s the first smartphone in history that feels like using a real computer. But, think for a minute how different it still is from a desktop or notebook. On a Mac computer, you’ve got a filesystem you can access and monkey around with. You can download any program you wish (from wherever you wish) and install it. You can open up the box and customize the hardware. You can run Windows or Linux on it if you were so inclined. The iPhone, on the other hand, is by design like living under Dad’s roof--convenient, but restrictive. Without some serious rule breaking, you’re only allowed to do the things Dad says are OK to do. Want to download a cool program? Ask Dad. Want access to the files in that 32GB of storage? Sorry, but Dad says no. Want to do the whole ‘Manually Managed Music’ thing on more than one computer (like every iPod ever made)? Dad took away that privilege, and as he is wont to do, he won’t tell you why: “They are different devices that behave differently,†is Apple’s response. Thanks.

Now, imagine what life would be like if your laptop or desktop was subject to the same draconian rule. If Apple decided it didn’t want you using Flash anymore, it would take it away and there’d be no way short of potentially breaking the law for you to ever get it back. If you wanted to download a useful new program (Google Voice, perhaps?) you’d have no choice but to go through the App Store to get it, hoping with fingers crossed that Apple had allowed it to exist—though, experience would tell you otherwise. If you wanted to move files from your computer to another device or just to another folder, you’d need a paid MobileMe account. And, any freedoms you do have today could just as easily be gone with tomorrow’s software update.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just seen that one. Gets annoying after about 1 minute!

I want this! I want this!  

Fashionably over a barrel at least.....  

I honestly couldn't care less as I know I'll never get one, just like I'll never get an iphone. Simply though if people are worried about the restrictions on a product then don't buy it, no one is forcing you to!

I don't understand the use for those tiny computer things. Who uses them and when?

I actually just dumbed down on my phone technology, hooked up to Willcom cos they are much cheaper than anyone else. I only use my phone for messaging and occassionaly phoning, don't need to access the internet, play games or use my phone as a credit card

I'm hooked up to the net by my Iphone right now. I have unlimited data package so that means I can keep this hooked up and down load a hundred moveies when i'm sleeping. Don't do that anyway, 'cos they're crap movies.

THe 3 Gs does it alot faster, so more data at the same price. Nice.

And if you mean netbooks, they are great for when you're out and about and want some internet connection. Obviously, not everyone wants or needs that but if you do....

and why not? Some one calls me up and says, hey! you've still not paid me for the crack from last week, I can just go online from my IPhone and transfer the money via internet banking. Simple.

Plus, if they want to know where to score coke after lunch, I can show them on the lovely google map.

TB I don't understand it either. I have a computer at work and home, why on earth would I want one in between? And if I want to access the net I've never considered doing it on a phone. Maybe I'm just getting old but to be honest I doubt I would be into it even I was younger again. I've never been a gadget freak.

we decided to head to the beach fo lunch today. Sunny, very hot, cool beers, table at the beach, munching lamb koftes. Running late, so checked a few emails before heading back.

How? tethered on Iphone to the office VPN, into email. Felt like staying on the beach, but had to head back for happy hour which starts about now.

Not for everyone, but handy if you like that kind of connectivity.

Same GN - sometimes, don't want to be contacted. sometimes just want to ignore the world around so leave my phone at home. A tablet, a good idea, but still quite niche, as let's be honest, who REALLY needs one?

Who really needs a netbook, or texting on phones, or a whole load of other things.

Personally I don't like the way things are going with everyone connected all the time and instant answers etc etc. Time to take a step back and live a less un-necessarily crazy-paced life I think.