Annual dolphin hunt commencing in Taiji

We all know about Nankin massacre, unit 731 all that stuff.

What you don't know is when Japanese went to war, it's no quarter. Like the way of the Arabs and old testament. Eradicate all blood lines to avoid reprisal. War is selective genocide. Chooser of the slain.

As for 731, no different to putting your man in the vicinity of an A bomb test site as lab animals. People are interested in experimenting techniques of death.

So you said it all ...

Different sensitivity. What goes around in one culture can offend another. Take your pick.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
What you don't know is when Japanese went to war, it's no quarter. Like the way of the Arabs and old testament. Eradicate all blood lines to avoid reprisal. War is selective genocide. Chooser of the slain.
As for 731, no different to putting your man in the vicinity of an A bomb test site as lab animals. People are interested in experimenting techniques of death.

So you said it all ...
Different sensitivity. What goes around in one culture can offend another. Take your pick.

So why not acknowledge these deeds if they are so typical of the Japanese way?

I agree with the eco warrior comment Farqah. I fail to see how a pretty, blonde western actress blubbering in front of a camera about the killing of her 'special animal friends' is going stop them.

On a lighter note. Here's some Japanese eating Koala and ......a Sumo wrestler.

"There are wharehouses full of dolphin meat as there is no demand for it and there is no economic value at all. Dolphin watching is a far more sustainable and profitable option".

Some nice points Farquah.

Originally Posted By: Mantas

So you said it all ...

"We" all know about Unit 731 and the likes...is that "we" as in Westerners? If so, yeah, sure, cuz we learn it. Japanese dont. Are you Japanese? If so, what history book did you use to learn about WWII? Ive seen em all, and theyre slanted. I know that America has done some really horrendous stuff, but at least "most" of it is taught rather than avoided like it never happened. And Japanese wonder why Chinese are often pissed at them...besides political propaganda on the Chinese govt side...

Why hide the past and act like it never happened? Every country has skeletons, but many of those countries at least teach it and admit it.

Sorry, off-topic, but:

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

Why hide the past and act like it never happened? Every country has skeletons, but many of those countries at least teach it and admit it.

Like how No Gun Ri, My Lai, and Wounded Knee are taught in American schools?

Television mate ... TBS documentary some 20 years ago. I don't think they are hiding it. People just are not interested in it. Especially ones over 60 yo.

Another reason. Why pick on past wounds. You want some juice? Consider most prominent men over 80 in Japan were B grade war criminals. What does it do to the national moral picking on about times gone and what relevance does it have. Do you want to identify the criminal syndicate and the ties to Liberal Democratic Party? That's more relevant to now.

We have a new constitution. The pre-ww2 Japan is gone. Can the Japanese make proper-shinto out of this and wave the flag of progress? I don't think so. It's not like China looking back on its cultural revolution.

History books. You pick any history books prescribed by the government at compulsory level and tell me if any nation is up to the standard.

I don't know you and what makes you say you've seen em all, and I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you are off your horse and not a conspiracy theorist,

This is not about the Japanese way. It is about the past that the Japanese does not want to carry it over as a present issue.

My point is, how can you know where you are headed, if you dont know your past. I think the world would make a stink if Germany denied the Holocaust existed. If I had problems with Japan, I for sure wouldnt be living here, especially for over a decade. And yes, all countries have their skeletons, but I, having only lived in two to compare, see Japan as worse off than the States as far as at least teaching past atrocities (or hiding from them).

So, how many dolphins are being clubbed to death right now? horse

oh, yeah I'm in Germany and there's plenty of Nazis around.

Does the Holocaust acknowledgment make Germany any better? It's not just German problem.

Israel any better country because of that past when considering their action in West bank ?

My opinion is sometimes the past brings more issues to the present problem and to what extent we can have the slate clean without forgetting the past mistakes is ...

There is some point you have to grow out of the past. Very difficult to do. Can you do it with your childhood? I find myself cursed.

I don't think any of us would argue that the dolphin thing is barbaric but on the topic of Japanese war atrocities....

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

So you said it all ...

Originally Posted By: thursday
Cos the yanks bought the copyright.

Where Jynxx' aim might be a little blunt sometimes, Thursday hit the nail on the head. Much of the reason Japan hasn't dealt with it's war atrocities is because the US basically burried it and encouraged Japan to do the same. It fits in with the emerging cold war and early US support of the right-wing LDP. With the end of the war, Japan was the good guys and China and Russia were the bad guys so **** Unit 731. And that stuff is hardly taught in US or Canada either unless you take a specialized course in something like Japanese 20th century history at Uni.

Quote:
With the end of the war, Japan was the good guys and China and Russia were the bad guys so **** Unit 731.

Not down here Ger.

While Japanese prisoners in Australia lived in relative comfort and treated with dignity and respect, the Australian POW's were flogged, staved and humiliated within an inch of they're lives. My grandfather had some horific stories about the treatment dealt out by the Japanese. There was a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment down here that still lingers today 60 years on.

It will always remain a thorn in the side of our 2 countries for the future so long as Japan decides to brush it all under the carpet.

Quote:
With the end of the war, Japan was the good guys and China and Russia were the bad guys so **** Unit 731.

Not down here Ger.
There was a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment down here that still lingers today 60 years on.

Not the feeling I got when I took my J girlfriend down the RSL recently.

I was never taught at school about the aboriginal massacres that our forefathers carried out in our past and I do not feel responsible for it either. It was a different time as it is a completely different time here in Japan from the days of WW2.
The recent commemoration of Hiroshima was well covered in the media here and I do think there is an awareness of a time that should not be revisited whether or not many know the full extent of the actions of some.

Coming from SA TJ, it's easy to tell the diff between a dolphin & whiteys fin!

Still a dolphin emerged from nowhere the other day and the fin was straight lining for me.. scared the crappers outta me initially (but would have been too late if it had teeth!)

Originally Posted By: Indo
Coming from SA TJ, it's easy to tell the diff between a dolphin & whiteys fin!
Still a dolphin emerged from nowhere the other day and the fin was straight lining for me.. scared the crappers outta me initially (but would have been too late if it had teeth!)

Yep when anything pops up out of the water next to me it scares the shizen out of me. The fish jumping around down at Miyazaki were amazing. I always worry about what might me chasing them to make them jump so high.
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

Not the feeling I got when I took my J girlfriend down the RSL recently.

I was never taught at school about the aboriginal massacres that our forefathers carried out in our past and I do not feel responsible for it either. It was a different time as it is a completely different time here in Japan from the days of WW2.

I was never taught about that either TJ but things have changed in the 30 years since I was at school. We have countless documentaries about the stolen generation aired on public TV. One million people attended the 'Sorry' march across Sydney harbour bridge and our prime minister recently made a formal apology on behalf of the nation. Our skeleton is well and truely out of the closet.
I'm glad your J girl was treated well at the RSL, as she should be. That thorn I spoke of is only a small one but it gets pushed a little deeper when Whaling and dolphin killing is on the agender.

Anyway enough from me.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
My point is, how can you know where you are headed, if you dont know your past. I think the world would make a stink if Germany denied the Holocaust existed. If I had problems with Japan, I for sure wouldnt be living here, especially for over a decade. And yes, all countries have their skeletons, but I, having only lived in two to compare, see Japan as worse off than the States as far as at least teaching past atrocities (or hiding from them).

So, how many dolphins are being clubbed to death right now? horse

its illegal in Germany and Austria to be a Holocaust denier. A couple of years ago an outspoken right-wing British guy travelled to Austria and was arrested when he landed because of his already well known views on the Holocaust
Originally Posted By: Indo
I thought this thread was about....
dolphinsDM_800x446.jpg

Often get to see this sight and it is a wonderful feeling that never gets old.

you take that yerself Indo? Sweet pic!!! clap I could watch dolphins all day meself! I think I was a dolphin in my previous life biggrin