Advice needed - Early skiing near Tokyo end Nov/early Dec 2009tions

Hi everyone..

I need some advice from anyone here.

We are a family (2 adults & 3 kids) visiting Tokyo from 21st November - 3rd December from Singapore

We HAVE NEVER skiied before and the kids would really like to try some skiing.

However, I understand most resorts only open from Mid December but we really are unable to come later or extend our stay longer.

Can anyone advice which would be the best place to try skiing at this time?

I have checked SNOWJAPAN and the only ones that I have found to appear to open in November are Naeba, Kagura and maybe Karuizawa.

Can anyone advise on these selections or any other advice for early skiing.

Thanks very much

Francis

Singapore

Hi libra13.

Those dates are difficult. If you look at the Now pages on this site

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nowcalendar.php

you'll see that pretty much nowhere is open then.

Karuizawa is man-made snow. Not very big. Lots of shopping.

Naeba - not open I would think. Just part of Kagura, but that is also touch and go (look at those Now reports from previous years).

Certainly no guarantee of snow.

I think Yeti in Shizuoka base of Fuji is open with man-made snow as well, another small place.

Sorry it's not better news.

Yeti in Shizuoka is open from October. Totally man-made snow. A bit like skiing on a margarita. First timers might enjoy it for a short time as it is basically on Mt. Fuji and there is a golf course right next to the runs so its a bit funny to be skiing next to golfers... thats about it. I live quite near the place and have been a few times when they offer the all night skiing (fun drinking night!) but I don't think of it as a real ski-jo!

I think I was riding in Kagura on December 10th 2 years ago. Plenty of coverage, not epic powder but a great day none the less. Last year however that same time the cover was ropey

My advice? (cue groans from others) - Karuizawa.

Since you've never skiied before, you should have fun even though the Karuizawa Prince Reort will only have machine-made snow at that stage. It is quite small, but you can rent all of the gear that you need, and I'm pretty sure you can arrange an English-speaking instructor if you give them some advance notice.

Apart from the guaranteed snow, Karuizawa's a very pretty town set in forested mountains only an hour from Tokyo by shinkansen. There's a lot to see and do there, a big (but tasteful) outlet shopping park, a lot of good Japanese and western restaurants, and a relaxed atmosphere. Your children might also be fascinated by the chance to see a live volcano - Mt Asama - which is on the skyline overlooking Karuizawa, puffing out the odd bit of smoke now and again.

It's not a place I'd go skiing these days, but it's a great break from Tokyo and I love the place, especially in Autumn.

SdS

Actually I'd concur with SdS. Barring an early season it won't be much but it will at least be something. Kaurizawa is easy for foreigners too and easy to get to. Autumn leaves will be finished by then unfortunately but it's a beautiful time of year in Karuizawa when they're out.

...So you might be able to find a patch of snow but remember, it's not really winter at that time. It's like going to Singapore for the beach. Better to take a boat to Tioman. Better to wait til January.

Hakuba 47 opened on the 23rd of November last year and the 22nd the year before.

My advice is to wait until you are in Japan and make your decision depending on what is open. There will not be any problem getting accommodation at that time of year where ever you go.

TJ OZ - I understand and agree with what you are saying, but as the OP will be with a young family, practically speaking they'll probably want to sort their plans out before they arrive. As absolute beginners, snow conditions are also going to be less of a priority than somewhere that's easily accessible, convenient and has other attractions apart from snow.

Hence Karuizawa's the ideal choice for quick access from Tokyo, I think.

SdS