So, yeah going to be in japan on newyears. not sure 100% where thou. Im guessing probably the Hakuba area but really who knows. Im just woundering what goes on in japan for new years? Any events, shows, fireworks or what not? Any one who has ideas for cool stuff to do let me know. THanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you and I was in Japan with choices, I'd spend the new year in Tokyo or big city and have fun there. Not really much for me at new year at ski resorts - just expensive and busy, so I avoid.

WEll no im not 100% set on riding for the new years, i was thinking of just staying in tokyo but i wasent sure. i was more just wondering if new years was a big event in japan, like it is here. Ill proabably just find a bar with lots of people and see if i can find something interesting. Thanks everyone.

I spent New Years at Niseko, more Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi calls than in Sydney Harbour, It was a great night but I think the locals were a bit over powered by the Aussie invasion although I must say everyone was very well behaved

Well yeah, im still in the undecided stage of what im going to do in japan. But thats ok. i still have a few months to figure it out i guess. Thanks for the great ideas about new years. ill have to do some more looking around i guess. But what about Xmas day? i know Xmas is more of a family thing. but are there any events around tokyo? i just relized i will be flying into japan late xmas eve.....HA

Xmas day is just another day here, people are working. the only thing you will see are huge lines outside of KFC as that is what Japanese people eat for their "Xmas" dinner

Well, i was thinking that could be a possablity... about it just being a normal day, not the KFC part. HA thats just weird on a few levels. 1st what the hell does KFC have to do with xmas,2ed its crazy to think the kfc has really made it that far. Im sure the colonel is pleased. I might just have to find a kfc to see this in action.

I don't agree with the balance of opinion here - the times I've been in Hakuba for New Year's Eve, I've always had a laugh. On New Year's Day itself the resorts are no busier than usual in my experience, in fact often less so if the weather's poor, because most of the locals and visiting Japanese are at home with family enjoying o-sechi ryori - traditional New Year foods. It's rather like Christmas Day in Western / Christian countries.

New Year's in Tokyo is all very well, but zerOstar - Roppongi's often not as busy as on other nights, just a higher percentage of gaijin and a greater likelihood of trouble. Perhaps because you live in Fukushima you don't see Gaien Higashi Dori much in all its normal "glory"...?

Funnily enough I was skiing Alts Bandai for 3 days over last New Year and it was great. If you're with friends you can make a good party wherever you are, I've found.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

SdS

Well at this point im leaning toward just staying in Hakuba for newyears eve and maybe heading back to tokyo new years day or the day after. Just because it allows me to go a few other places around japan before i have to jump on my plane.

Really the only things im left wondering is... how are the bars in Hakuba? any at the resorts?

Because yeah, anything can be made fun if you have friends around, but seeing how im travaling alone, im looking for a good place to make friends.A Bar at the base of a mountain. seems like a good place to me smile

The bars in Hakuba? There are a few good ones, though not at the resorts themselves. The biggest concentration of bars and restaurants is in Echoland, between Happo-one and Goryu and a short drive from the village centre and station. There are more bars close to the base of Happo and there's usually a friendly crowd of visitors and locals during the holidays at Tracks Bar, just down the hill from Escal Plaza, the base of Goryu.

I'm sure the locals would have some other suggestions, depending on where you stay. It's easy enough to hook up with like-minded people when you are there.

SdS

No bars at the resorts?? Thats Lame. I guess that means i have to bring my own booze up when i ride. well i guess its probably cheaper that way. how far is echoland from happo-one? and are there good places to stay around there?