• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy planning to everyone from overseas coming to Japan this winter...

In the meantime, the autumn weather transition goes on. It is cooler still in Kanto and much of Northern Japan is getting lower temps, especially at night. The thread about first snowfalls on Youtei-san (Niseko) and Yokoteyama (Shiga Kogen) is quite encouraging.

Any other observations from the mountain-dwellers that might be of interest??

SdS

Bavaria...

Today with the northerly wind blowing, the Swallows decided to go south. Hundreds of them in groups flew towards the mountains. Afterwards, the surrounding area is quiet with less bird songs. Winter is coming.

The temperature has gone down over the weekend and forcast of snow on Zugspites tomorrow, Forcast of snow up on the glaciers 2000m+ areas for the whole next week.

About time. Last (and first) snow was mid september and this year there's only 10 cm when the year before this time was 70 cm.

With a bit of luck the next few weeks there will be snow and I'm looking forward to my first of the season.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Yesterday 10 cm and overnight additional 50 cm and it's still snowing.
Very windy at the mo, but when the wind dies, I'm going. Not waiting for another few weeks.

thumbsup

It started snowing in Muenchen (Munich). We are at about 500m elevation.

It's wet snow.

I wonder if it will be all white when I get up in the morning.

Mother-in-law said she can smell the snow coming. And it did.

Bloody cold today. There was some snow outside but melted during the day. Snow forecast tomorrow and 2 degrees C.

Mountains -16 today. so far 85 cm of fresh powder making it 100 cm. Rocks will be sticking out but it's getting there.

My in-laws tell me it is unusual to get snow in Oct historically, but in the last 3 years that has been the case where I live. Where I live it snowed earlier (first fall) last year and this year this month has been warm until now. @3000m ASL first snow was Sep 13 (10cm) and hadn't snowed until now.

What I do notice is that there is less amount of snow over the last 3 years. And when it dumps, it does so to the extent of avi danger and resorts getting isolated with visitors getting trapped. Where I live, and Tirol nearby, I think the heaviest months are Jan, Feb and March. Up on the glaciers, it snows Apr and plenty of snow in May that will carry over summer till the next seasons snowfall. But this year where there had been 50 cm of snow there was only 10. The glaciers are shrinking. One glacier resort even covered the slope with material to preserve the snow - saves a lot of money from artificial snow making, too.

But to get something in perspective, Munich city is similar latitude as in Sapporo, but a lot higher @519m ASL gradually increasing to the foot of the Alps 40~50 km down south, and the local mountains there are about 1500m ASL. (Annupri is about 800m) The top of Tirol is about 3300m

Hokkaido has a lot of fluffy snow but here you can snow all year if you want to. (if you are desperate)

So, here is my first snowboarding report of this season in Europe (Austria) 19 Oct 09.

Since October is a cold season in Munich and I have had woken up to snow on the roofs and gardens I didn't think it was an early snow season this year. After I have heard about the overnight snowfall in mid Oct, I waited till the weather getting better (It was 20~40 km winds and -10~ -15 degreesC ) and alas I went there on Monday. Sunshine and blue sky all the way till Wednesday and then it snowed on Thursday.

What I did notice was that there was a lot of snow compared to when I went there last year in mid Nov. However the snow that reached to the lower altitude was visibly melting each day as this week is lot warmer than last week.

As for snow conditions:

Monday - There must have been a lot of people over the weekend. The pow has been tracked and not much to exploit unless you are one of these people who are supported by getting new boards when you damage them running over rocks. On a serious tone, this is the glaciers, you want to be very careful where you go, and Austrians don't mark things or rope them off that much. Slightly blurred my heel side edge that later when I hit an icy patch it slipped. On my second descent I got lucky. A cat came up a steep heavily tracked area and I was there at the right time. I went for it and it was still fluffy ankle deep pow - like it just cleaned up the tracks and crud. Had another one of them in a different area ... biggrin

It was great. Maybe the best first day ever.

Tuesday - The Cats have done a fine job and things are nice and smooth. Yesterday it was rather bumpy from the weekend but today it's a well prepared piste with powder which is OK. Some area's are getting packed harder and I have no complaints.

Wednesday - Today the snow is different. How? well it's like early April in Italy. The snow is packed harder and heavier. It's not powder in my language because it has lost its fluffiness.

Thursday - What was a icy, wet snow in the morning turned out to become really fluffy after a couple of hours. And it's beginning to dump. Windy too. Not many people here today after all. Waited for an hour and went out before anyone else who was taking a break resulting in a ankle deep untracked powder. Couldn't see very much but felt great under my feet. Snow singing under me smile

It was a really interesting 4 days because I had all conditions in such a short time and changing ...

Hopefully it will snow next week because I am going back again with my wife.

Yeah, and all this when it comes to money? I stayed in a double room single occupancy with breakfast and a 3 course meal for 50 Euros. The lift is 40 for a day from 8:30 and becomes cheaper after 11 AM

So less than 100 Euros a day (Y13700) for everything. Howzzaaatt !?

Sure did ! The people in the Alps said they haven't skied with fresh snow this early in the last 25 years. Every one looked happy up there, Greetings to God up @3000m. Maybe we are close to the Divine. Talked with an old couple who drove 6 hrs from Berlin, Dad and son who flew in from Koeln ... most people were Tirolians and from Germany. (I'm beginning to get their accents and I'm beginning to speak) No Italians this time and no Brits. Me being the only asian as usual. I like the attention from the girls but don't like eating at restaurants at night by myself. Me being Japanese and speaking German seems to go down well and as a result I have fun.

As for value,

Dinner included is called halbpension (half pension) and 55~85Euro (low~high season) per person. standard 2 or 3 star accomodation. Don't be apprehensive about the 2 star cos it can be something very insignificant and the price isn't all that different between the two. 4 stars you can add another 10~15 Euros on top.

For a double room with just breakfast it's about the same price as above for the room per night. We try and find something with a kitchen (apartment) for about 70 a night and stay a week.

It's always a little more expensive if you don't stay for min 3 days or single occupancy in a double room.

Hope the price in north inaka island town of Japan comes down since they "desire" to be international. And they have recession. Maybe you guys should come to Europe and decrease the demand up there. That should do the trick to drop their price. or maybe it's the gaijin agents making all the commission

OctoberFest finished after first week of october so it's back to normal. There are lots of shoppers out there ... where's recession !?

I wouldn't shop for shoes or cloths over here. (unless it's Birkenstock)

I think U.S.A is the best place for shopping especially skateshoes and denims, sports equip. household stuff ...

and I would love to try out Canada and Alaska for snowboarding.

I'm gonna check out some more Italy, Austria and Swiss this year. Let you guys know some places to go.

Really don't know where the hell you got quotes from Jynxx but you can stay in some pretty luxurious properties in Niseko for similar prices, especially if you had of booked early and got the 25% off deals that were being offered. As usual your complete utter lack of knowledge of this region makes itself clear. And we don't have to 'desire' to be international, we already are. Got plenty of bookings from Europeans this season as well.

Anyway pic of Youtei I took this afternoon

4038733671_aeda1a4634_b.jpg