• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August was only very slightly cooler than usual up here. The nights lately have really been cooling down though. If it's clear we are getting below 10 degrees now. I love this time of year actually, cool nights, crystal clear air and mild days.

SKI - I love autumn, too...but not so much that I don't want winter to kick off early!

Glad to hear about the cool evenings in Niseko, it's staying remarkably cool in Tokyo at the moment. More like October than September here.

SdS

I keep hearing people say it's so much cooler than normal down that way but is it really?

Tokyo averages 27.1 in August and this year they averaged 26.6. 0.5 degrees isn't that much difference. Last year averaged 26.8, hardly any warmer at all.

So far in Sept the average has been 24 and the average for the whole month is 23.5. Obviously you'd expect it to be warmer earlier in the month than the average and cooler later in the month. Still 24 in the first few days hardly seems like October temps which average 18.2.

GN, all I can say is that it feels cooler. There's definitely less humidity compared to the usual levels in early September, which of course makes a big difference and probably explains why only a couple of degrees below average feels much cooler than it actually is.

You North-sea-roaders think 24's pretty hot anyway, right? ;-)

One odd thing was that the usual blast of hot, humid air that gets sucked off the Pacific into Kanto following a typhoon simply didn't happen this time. I suppose it was something to do with the track in this case?

Anyway, please keep your observations coming. Apart from buying new gear and trying to get to the gym more often, looking at weather maps of north east Asia is my favourite preparation this time of year.

SdS

The lower humidity levels would definitely mean the comfort index would be much nicer.

Much of the summer up here also 'felt' cooler as we had a lot of cloudy days. The average was close to normal but because of the cloud cover max temps were fairly low and min temps were higher.

Maybe similar down that way? I'll have to check thumbsup

And yes an average of 24 would be very hot for us. In fact the hottest month on record in Kutchan was August '99 when we averaged 23.1

Jurgens, if we are very lucky, then maybe. But as Myoko-er said, the season "proper" doesn't kick off until mid-late December in most places. Check here before you fly, and rest assured if there's somewhere with snow, you'll be able to find out about it.

SdS

There's a few resorts in Hokkaido where you can normally expect to be skiing at that time. Niseko normally opens in the last week of November and depending on the year the cover can be pretty good. The snows usually do come earlier up north here than down on Honshu.