Shonan Beach - a disgraceful "dump"

I have heard the name Shonan Beach many times but until now didnt realize what a disgusting place it is.

Are young Kanto people are really that lazy and selfish?, makes me glad I live in Kansai. Shirahama Golden sand beach looks saintly compared to that pigsty. You see a few ciggie butts and the odd can or a yakisoba pack at Shirahama but the sheer volume of crap in that video is repulsive.

Is it really that bad? is are there any decent beaches at all in Kanto?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enoshima area is a **** shithole - actually hate going there in summer as it just gets littered with bottles, fag ends and random bits of trash. Trouble is the beach bars don't help really and there is noone there to enforce people to pick it up and take it home with them.

Recommend going down the road to either Tsujido or kamakurakokomae.

Yeah it is pretty bad. I reckon its worse this year for some reason. There is more broken glass lying around which is a pain in the ass. I feel that the foreigners are the ones who tend to tidy up after themselves, I know for sure that me and my mates always make sure that we take our rubbish off the beach and dump it into the bins. Tsujido beach maybe isn't as bad but thats because there are no bars there so much less of the Tokyo Traffic, kids down for a day trip drinking it up and generally not giving a f##k. I was over at Yuigahama beach at Kamakura last week and what a dfference, the beach bars are nicer, more family oreientated and the beach has significantly less rubbish. You should see it when they start to dismantle the beach bars, the amount of crap lying around is awful. They do get it cleaned up though but still its not nice to see

That is totally disgusting. Are the bars on the beach serving the drinks in glass bottles - they drinks should be opened and put into plastic cups??? Have these people not heard of picking your rubbish up when you leave??? Where is their pride (oh maybe that is the problem they have none)?? thumbsdown

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Where is their pride?

You're talking about some people that go out with big buffoon hair, panda eyes, smelling god damn awful. Think pride went out the window a long time ago.

Wow!

Talk about smashing the stereotypes I have long held.

In our experience we have really only seen the neat and tidy side of Japanese people...we were SUPER impressed how everyone stacked thier trays and cleared thier mess (inlcuding wiping up the table) in the on mountain eateries - we felt that was WAY more respectful than anywhere else we had been.

I am really shocked to see this video.

The rubbish was gross, but the black sand was pretty icky too - however I am probably spoiled Cottesloe Beach is my local.

Cottesloe%2BBeach.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Wow!
Talk about smashing the stereotypes I have long held.

In our experience we have really only seen the neat and tidy side of Japanese people...we were SUPER impressed how everyone stacked thier trays and cleared thier mess (inlcuding wiping up the table) in the on mountain eateries - we felt that was WAY more respectful than anywhere else we had been.

The rubbish was gross, but the black sand was pretty icky too - however I am probably spoiled Cottesloe Beach is my local.
Cottesloe%2BBeach.jpg

yeah when you have a beach such as Cottesloe then any black sand beach will be disappointing, but the sand is dark because its volcanic.
Interestingly enough there s a beautiful white sand beach not that far away at the bottom of the Izu peninsula at Shimoda, I'd show you a pic if I remembered how to post photos!

Originally Posted By: Zer0star
Is it because they don't provide bins on/near the beaches?? It's quite a simple council service that would surely help somewhat.

Even if so, my experience has been that Japanese friends are very careful with litter and pack up and take back their own so this is a surprise.

Nice local, Mamabear

Cottesloe%2BBeach.jpg

Damn MB, That's one packed beach! (I wouldn't have thought that 2 years ago though).

Most Japanese I know always take their rubbish with them (to the nearest conbini). In fact they even put their ciggy butts in the rubbish too. They are surfers though, so maybe a tad more in tune with the environment perhaps?

Me, too ger !

We are used to being the only one or just a few people along the stretch of a mile along the beach.

As far as I'm concerned, everyday is clean austrlia day where ever we go in nature. Take a rubbish bag and pick up some trash.

I'm beginning to miss OZ

Nijima (island off tokyo) has white sand and good surf ...

To be fair that is an advertising pic of Cott, and it is rather busy - as it would be during school holidays in the height of summer. At the moment there would be a couple of diehards down there shivering wink

It is also super popular because of the good parking, brilliant cafes and resturants across the road (and the one on the beach), the lawn and the playground...if you go just a few meters either way you get the same sand and water without the lawn, pretties and playstuff....but also without the crowds.

I really dont like litter around the beach/river/waterways - people are so often barefoot and exposed to higher risk, and the sand or water can bury so much stuff from view. The disastrous mess that os left around the river after our Australia Day fireworks is appaling also. Booze and water play are a bit retarded at the best of times, but it does seem to erase peoples sense of decency with regards to litter.

Booze and water play are a bit retarded at the best of times...

He he... Well, you're probably right about that but beer just goes so well with the beach. cheers

Yes...my precious partner consumed copious amount of BEER at the OBH (Ocean Beach Hotel) in Cottesloe after a rugby match last summer and then bolted across the road with the boys (of course you just KNOW they were egging one another on!) and DOVE into the water - only to hit his head on a sand bar.

It was sheer luck and a big rubgy players bull neck that had him escape without a spinal injury.

Ahhh soo many drunken idiot stories, so little server space...

where is that stemik?

Thursday...busy, yes, but not usually too busy - and as I say plenty of beach to the left and right that isnt so crowded. People just love those lawned terraces!

cottesloebeach.jpg