Which resort for low-intermediate skiers that also offers atmosphere for non-skiers?

Hi all, I am just starting to plan our first 'ski' trip to Japan for mid March 2010. I say "ski" because only 2 out of 7 people in our party ski.

We are a party of an intermediate father, a 5 year old who's gonna have his first ski lesson, non-skiing grandparents and mom, as well as a 1 year old and his nanny. So, in reality, this would be 30% ski and 70% chilling out/walking around.

So, we are looking for a resort with an easy-immediate course that is convenient to get to from the hotel/ryokan and offers instruction for children. As the grandparents and the baby will not be skiing, we also need an area (village/town)for them to stroll around.

We are planning 3 nights in the ski area, continued with 2-3 nights in Tokyo.

Based on all this, I am thinking Nozawa would fit the bill. Any suggestion on whether Nozawa is a good fit with what we're looking for? Any other places? How far is total travel time for Tokyo-Nozawa? What about Myoko Kogen, Hakuba and Yuzawa?

Many thanks!

nana

Non-skiers may get bored methinks depending on what they like to do. Japan ski towns are not Vale or Aspen by any stroke of imagination.

I know Myoko offers day tours during the season and probably other towns do too. So taking trips whilst you ski may be an alternative.

If your child's nanny is Indonesian I'd make sure to apply for a visa well in advance.

Yuzawa is closest to Tokyo and easiest to get to - about 1.5 hours by direct bullet train.

Seven people spanning three generations including a baby and a nanny and most of the party doesn't ski. Interesting... Staying in a town with a good amenities and a little entertainment would be nice but it sounds like you guys will be able to make your own entertainment for two or three days in snow country.

I'd put a premium on good accommodations. -- Try to get a nice, large self-contained cottage or condo with kitchen (not necessarily for cooking but for stuff like boiling water and cleaning up messes at least). Staying in a regular hotel room (or a couple of hotel rooms) would not be private or convenient and in your case I think that's your most important criteria. Entertainment will take care of itself.

I used to go on big ski trips with my family when I was a little kid and now I have a family of my own so I know where you're coming from but I can't help you out with specifics, seeing as I live on Shikoku and all.... haha

Ok i few ideas on Hakuba

- great for Native English ski or board instruction.

- intermediates will not get bored

for the non-skiers.

- guided full day tours to the Monkey park with lunch

- guided full day tours to Matsumoto castle with lunch

- Learn Japanese culture, tea ceremony, kimono wearing at 100 year old house

- Craft workshops

- 3 great art galleries

- sit back and enjoy great coffee (not something you can easily do in countryside Japan

- explore some of the old shrines around the town

- tons of souvenir shops

just a few ideas for you

Here, I can suggest Furano... the snow is enjoyable, with some good fun runs for low-intermediate (I was when I went there, it was only my second time on snow).

For the non-skiers, there is Ningle Terrace, which has handicrafts and stuff, the Furano Cheese factory (it has a nice woodfired pizza place attached to it), Furano Winery, as well as plenty of little cake shops and stuff in town. My mum and sister aren't skiers and enjoyed it heaps there. Only down side is that it's not the closest place to get to.. its about a 3 hour bus ride from Chitose Airport to Furano, but the scenery is nice on the way.

Quote:
Which resort for low-intermediate skiers that also offers atmosphere for non-skiers?

Of the places I know in Japan - not so many - I would give Nozawa a vote. It's a nice little place and fairly reachable from Nagano city which has it's interesting things as well. And those monkeys of course.

Yeah Hakuba has a lot of different ski resorts in the one valley so often when the conditions at one are bad, they could be decent at another giving you a lot of choice. The resorts are mostly independent though so there is no 1 lift ticket for all of them (as far as I know)