Hi guys,

You may remember my thread earlier this year about driving all around Japan in 3 weeks.

We have thought about it more and changed it slightly, let me know what you experienced folks think and if you have any recommendations wink

3 weeks total.

1- Arrive Tokyo in evening. Stay overnight near Haneda.

2- Fly early for Chitose. Hire 4WD. Drive to NISEKO.

3-NISEKO/RUSUTSU

4-NISEKO/RUSUTSU

5-NISEKO/RUSUTSU

6-NISEKO/RUSUTSU

7-NISEKO/RUSUTSU

8-FURANO/TOMAMU

9-FURANO/TOMAMU

10-FURANO/TOMAMU

11-FURANO/TOMAMU

12-Fly back to Tokyo. Travel to Hakuba

13-HAKUBA

14-HAKUBA

15-HAKUBA

16-HAKUBA

17-TOKYO

18-TOKYO

19-TOKYO

20-TOKYO

21-TOKYO - Fly home in evening.

There are obviously more details regarding transfers, this is just an overview. Let me know if you think we're spending too much time in one place and not enough in another.

Cheers.

Looks good. If you enjoy ducking ropes you might want to avoid Furano, or just have a heads up theyre pretty damn anal up there. I assume you have your own reasons for spending that much time in Tokyo than skiing in Hakuba, but Id add on another day in Hakuba if possible:

yamakashi_15.jpg

2137080925_99eee68c6e_b.jpg

tried attaching the pic from my sj member page but it doesnt show up...

All hire cars in Hokkaido will be AWD. You don't really need some big 4WD. All cars will be fitted with snow tyres.

From Niseko it's a good 4hour+ drive to Furano and you can head back through to Tomamu and then onto Chitose for your flight. You'd probably only get 1 full day at Tomamu.

Personally for only 3 weeks I'd be inclined to either choose Hokkaido or Honshu, not both.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Looks good. If you enjoy ducking ropes you might want to avoid Furano, or just have a heads up theyre pretty damn anal up there. I assume you have your own reasons for spending that much time in Tokyo than skiing in Hakuba, but Id add on another day in Hakuba if possible:

I find groomers boring so we might give Furano a miss then. I hear Tomamu is great though so we'll still go there.

Any other mountains you guys could recommend in Hokkaido that have lift accessed tree's and off-piste?

Originally Posted By: Go Native
All hire cars in Hokkaido will be AWD. You don't really need some big 4WD. All cars will be fitted with snow tyres.

From Niseko it's a good 4hour+ drive to Furano and you can head back through to Tomamu and then onto Chitose for your flight. You'd probably only get 1 full day at Tomamu.

Personally for only 3 weeks I'd be inclined to either choose Hokkaido or Honshu, not both.

Thanks for the info regarding the cars. We only wanted a Van because theres 5 of us with suitcases and snowboard bags.

If we did just do Hokkaido, what are the best area's to ride in 2 weeks?

We mostly ride off-piste but aren't really into the whole 'hiking for hours in the BC' thing.

Originally Posted By: 7-11
I'd replace the Hakuba with Shiga Kogen + Nozawa Onsen.

Shiga and Nozawa look very tempting, I think only 4 days there will make me depressed though with all that terrain...
Do you think it will workout better than 4 days in Hakuba?

Originally Posted By: joshnii
Sounds good though a little too balanced in Hokkaidos favor.

It's our first trip and we want some guaranteed deep powder to blow our minds, Hokkaido seems like the most likely place for those conditions.

Is there any other great resorts near Furano other than Tomamu?
Originally Posted By: robbied
Originally Posted By: 7-11
I'd replace the Hakuba with Shiga Kogen + Nozawa Onsen.

Shiga and Nozawa look very tempting, I think only 4 days there will make me depressed though with all that terrain...
Do you think it will workout better than 4 days in Hakuba?

I think two days at Shiga and Noz will be great fun... But, how much traveling do you want to do? Remember, the more you travel, the less you have to ride, and since you dont have that much time on Honshu, Id pick one myself. Travel between Shiga and Noz isnt the smoothest either. Unless you rent a car on Honshu as well.
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
shifty

Hell yeah, don't forget Myoko.... that's M Y O K O. Remember, Myoko. OK? Oops you didn't mention it. Well, think Myoko anyway.

SECONDED!!! I had a pass last year for 4 of the 5 (it didnt cover seki which was a shame). The fact im back in the UK whenever i think about suginohara im filled with a genuine feeling of sadness :'(

Its absolutely beautiful. And also the longest ride in Japan if i remember right.

Also, if you like "whatever you like" riding without red coats stealing your lift pass, youll freaking love the whole mountain. Play in the trees or under the lifts, or hike up to the top and mess around the bowl, no ones stopping you. The genuine policy is "do what you like, but if we have to rescue you, youre paying through the nose for it".

smile Cant argue with that.

Oh, and i forgot the powder. Its really all over the place. And the best thing is, its usually under a flimsy healf hearted red tape, and no one else is playing on it smile

What about the others though:

If you want a park to play on, ikenotaira is pretty decent. And though Akakan doesnt touch happo, its still a pretty decent place to whizz around on. It has a fantastic soft packed 38 degree mogul field that i freaking loved tumbling down last year. Great fun. smile Genuinely worth a couple of days. Oh, and youll be literally taking two lifts to get from the bottom of the mountain to the top. And whats more, aside the terrible two seater at the foot of ikenotaira, youll hardly be waiting. In hakuba it gets a bit messier.

Honestly, when i retire im coming to myoko and teaching them how to bloody market the damn place! An absolute tragedy that this place isnt as popular as it should be. I have nothing but total love for it. It took one morning session on suginohara to know that i was coming here all last winter. Its a decision im still delighted with. And last season the snow was rubbish in nagano smile