Does anyone here enjoy sunbathing?

I was never keen on being out in the sun "to get brown" but now it just seems more silly than ever. When I was a kid, it seemed to be the thing to do. Come back from holidays and it's "oh don't you look well" (ie. sunburnt).

It is (surely) on the decline?

Na hate it - people complain about me playing video games with friends, having a conversation them, then they go and sit on a beach for 6 hours, perhaps increasing their chances of skin cancer.

If my skin wanted to have been a different colour, I would have been born with the ability to change colour whenever I wanted to.

Agreed.

As a teenager I was pretty darkly tanned, but that was purely because I was a competitive swimmer (mostly at an outdoor pool), and parttime swimming teacher and pool lifeguard in between Uni hours. My life was in the water.

But I always applied the highest available spf waterproof sunscreen - even when it was fashionable to use spf4 reef oil.

Nowdays I dont have time to swim and faff about in the water so much -so I am MUCH whiter. Glow in the dark white mostly! However in summer when I am wakeboarding a lot my face, arms from the rashie down, and legs from the boardies down do color up a fair bit - even with sunscreen.

It always amazes me when the local Mummies go for solarium treatments to look healthy when it will very likely give them a melanoma!

Never understood why people go to the beach at the hottest time of the day. I don't like putting chemicals on my body and baking it on my skin. Lucky for me if I avoid 11~4 (summer time) I don't have to put anything on me for a swim in the ocean. Long sleeve shirt and hat is enough.

Ma' bear , do you miss doing long laps ? it's a bit like meditation isn't it?

Germany, despite the obsession to regulate anything, has the worst managed swimming pools. They don't have slow, fast lanes, Every one swims like a frog next to each other chatting, and generally treats swimming pools like a bath. Most people can't swim freestyle.

I taught my wife how to freestyle and she is good at it. She'll beat me pretty soon. We are often the only freestylers other than the swim school kids at our local 25m pool. Miss the 50m pool.

We are not that fast but still faster than tall blokes swimming breast stroke.

This can't be good though:

France falls out of love with topless sunbathing

Health concerns and new feminist priorities mean French women are covering up on the beach

For some it's the stuff of naff Cote d'Azur postcards. For others it's a symbol of the feminist struggle in France. Topless sunbathing was once the summer battleground of French post-1968 society – educated middle classes insisted that peeling off was a women's right, while family groups claimed exposed nipples would scare children.

For decades, France has prided itself on being the world capital of seaside semi-nudity. Now the nation is facing a bikini-top backlash. A younger generation of women are covering up, citing new feminist priorities, skin cancer fears and a rebellion against the cult of the fetished body beautiful.

French academics and historians have spent the early summer months pondering the sociological meaning of the demise of France's once-favourite piece of beachwear, the "monokini" – the bottom half of a bikini with no top.

Since the 1970s, when the French state refused to ban "le topless" on beaches, women's semi-nudity has become a symbol of summer in France. It was a point of national pride that the same freedom to strip off in public was off-limits in other more prudish nations such as the US.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Ma' bear , do you miss doing long laps ? it's a bit like meditation isn't it?

One of those things that got shelved in the busyness of life Jynxx. Even in summer when the kids would go out for a swim in the pool I would take the opportunity to get some housework done without thier incessant interruptions. But the last 2 years in the lead up to the Northern Hemi Winter season (our summer) I have been swimming laps in our own pool again - it is not the long lap you get in an olympic pool, but it is 20m, so enough to get a few good strokes in before having to turn. I am a MUCH happier person when I have been able to swim for half an hour or so every day....maybe it is the endorphins - maybe the water - maybe the Vitamin D.... but as soon as it stops bucketing with rain and gets into the 20's I will get back in the pool again.