• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Vossy let me tell you I LOVE CANADA BUT I think the best thing about Niseko is you get in at 12am and then 8.30 your up and off ski/snowboarding on the sweetest pow you can ever experience. Even a bad season in Niseko is a great season compared to everywhere else and it is a nice introduction to Japan without to much of a culture shock.

Did you get the direct connection through from toyko to Niseko?? That is a huge bonus for us coasty's lol When are you going V??

Yeah we're going from BRISBANE/NARITA then NARITA/CHITOSE.

Other than that I don't really know. Is Chitose close to Niseko??? I haven't really done any research at all yet but I think our package also includes transfers from the airport to Niseko.

We are arriving on the 20th Dec and staying till the 3rd of Jan. We booked some accom in Tokyo from the 30th till 2nd as well because we might spend new years eve there instead of Niseko. We'll decide when we're over there.

Leaving Japan on the 6th Jan, spending 2 days back at home on the coast then going to Fiji on a surfing trip for 8 days before I have to go back to work.

Are you going to Niseko this year Snowhuntress???

Vossy cancel the hotel in Tokyo for New Years - I heard Niseko goes off - we will be there arriving Boxing Day, so if Tokyo was gonna be better than Niseko we would have just stayed a couple of extra days! thumbsup

Transport is easy from Chistose - big ol' bus comes regularly and collects a whole swag of tourists and transports them stress free up to Niseko with a toilet break half way. Make sure you stock up on some drinks and munchies for the ride at the airport.

...any better in Tokyo?

Last year I was in a flat in London watching the fireworks out the window (we had been on the Waterloo Bridge earlier, but it was a bit of a bun fight!) - but that is the only NYE I have been awake for in years.

Difficult to back it up from our Anniversary on the 30th - every year we plan to, but just end up crashing about 10pm.

Yes Niseko this year last year every year I am a bit of a Niseko Junkie and book my trips as soon as I arrive home from my last trip!!!!

I have to say your first trip to Niseko is almost senses overload. You get off in Toyko and there a people everywhere, rush to the toilet before the connecting flight WOW they have heated toilet seats with music???? then it is a short trip to Chitose, off load in to another sensory overload, get on the bus brrrrrr it's cold. WOW look at the snow everywhere. Arrive at Niseko at midnight. Wake up early and hit the slopes YAHOOOO!!!! I can't wait on 6 months to go groovy

V you are going to LOVE IT!!!!!

lol

Had forgotten about the thrill of heated musical loo's!

thumbsup

My first trip to Niseko was also my first time seeing snow, so I was REALLY in sensory overload.

banner

what about the awesome loo's at the half way stop?

Grand Piano and all...!

Tokyo at NYE, of course there are loads going on, it is 1 of the biggest cities in the world BUT I'd stay in Niseko for the snow. If u aren't a big drinker you'll be able to rise on Jan 1st with all that untouched snow to play in as everyone else will be sleeping off their hangover!

TB I don't mind a beer or 20 mate so I think I'll leave the fresh tracks to you and Snowhuntress.

I'm looking forward to this sensory overload you're talking about. I've done quite a bit of travel but never to Japan. I haven't had time off work for 2.5 years so this is going to be a blowout.

What's the go with speaking Japanese??? Can you get by with out knowing much??? Also, would you's recommend buying a snowboard for the trip or hiring one when I get there?

YAY for having time off work after 2.5yrs! thumbsup

As for the language spoken in Niseko ... ummm that would be English lol Well...not officially, but it is pretty universal.

Learning a few key phrases and a good clear Sumimasen (Sorry/Excuse Me)will help you out though.

Buying vs hiring:

Best place I have even seen to buy gear - TOKYO.

Price of snowboards compared to Aus - excellent value.

Range available - mind blowing.

Whether to buy or hire is up to your own personal choice. Are you likely to go for more snow trips? How many days are you going this time/next time? Do you like to pack and run or are you up for the challenges of international travel with a snowboard (always cutting back on stuff because of weight).

For me - I bought. We are buying new boards for the kids when we get there this Dec (hubby and I love our boards and do not want to replace them). Has it saved us money - most definately! Has it been a pain to lug them around - not really ... even when we are lugging 3 snowboard bags (2 boards per bag) and 4 kids it has been no real problem. Yes you have to THINK - no jumping in the nearest taxi - but it is certainly do-able.

Hire boards - at what point does your hire cost = the cost of buying a new board and keeping it. It cost us $400 to hire a snowboard for a week at Thredbo (the boy had grown SO much his board was far too small and we wanted to buy in Dec in Tokyo - so it was a stopgap measure) - $400!! And it was a piece of CR@P! The bindings kept coming loose - we really needed to ride with tools so we could tighten at the bottom of every run!

My 2c worth. Do with it what you will.

Originally Posted By: Vossy
TB I don't mind a beer or 20 mate so I think I'll leave the fresh tracks to you and Snowhuntress.

I'm looking forward to this sensory overload you're talking about. I've done quite a bit of travel but never to Japan. I haven't had time off work for 2.5 years so this is going to be a blowout.

What's the go with speaking Japanese??? Can you get by with out knowing much??? Also, would you's recommend buying a snowboard for the trip or hiring one when I get there?

oh don't get me wrong, I'm tucked up in bed sleeping off the hangover, I just thought I'd put it out there!! smile

Language in Tokyo....you'll do fine with English. It'll take a lot of hand signals but you'll get there, it all adds to the adventure! The train station signs are usually in English too so getting around isn't a problem.

If it's Niseko, you will get by without any Japanese at all. You might even challange yourself trying to use it. wink

Most other places you can have lots of easy practice but get by without it. I'm sure on the road you are taking you will get by very easily. Always best to know a bit of course.

LOL I sure did! I was gobsmacked as well. It was Thredbo and we did hire a performance board, but it was tosh.

We hired in Niseko for me the first time and as far as I recall it was quite reasonable.

Have to say I have raided my families stash of boots/boards/helmets - adjusted some bindings and switched stances and managed to kit up two of my friends and myself so no one has to hire anything for our girls trip. I reckon for what I have saved them they can buy me a beer smile

seemore

I just did a search and found some rates - they are certainly better than what we got stung for this past trip.

FYI

Snow Japans LONG list of hire places

direct link to prices guide of rhythm, one of the featured businesses

7 days kids beginner boots and board will only set you back $150

For what we hired for $400 in Oz, it would have cost $285 in Niseko. Do ya see why the Aussies love Niseko?

Cheers Mamabear

I may just duck down to cashies and see if I can pick up some stuff. I am still working on places to stay and whether or not to go to Niseko or Hakuba.

Seemore

Seemore....you might have more luck on ebay, and perhaps the end of season sales on new gear at Mainpeak. The season here is still going, so prices will be stable, but in a few weeks the stores will want to move a fair bit of stock ready for the summer offerings. Could be worth a look.

You might get some people moving thier gear on thru ebay or cashies as the season draws to a close, but remember that Aussie prices can be inflated compared to Japan prices - just due to supply and demand and the benefit of quanitities of scale.

Seemore - Go with MB advice you can pick up some great bargains on ebay. Especially people who have gone boardig for the first time bought all the gear and find out they hate it.

We have bought some great jackets and pants on ebay - also Mr Snowhunter is always updating his stuff and always puts it on ebay usually half of what he paid for it a year ago. (sorry he hasn't got anything at the moment, he has already done his upgrade for the next trip).

Snowhuntress, if we ever decide to downsize and clear out we could open a 2nd hand shop for snow gear. We have kept EVERYTHING...simply because we want to be able to lend it to friends and family who are going as first timers.

Actually - might even pay to check the op shops...strange as that seems...I know a friend of mine dumped her 11 yr olds outgrown snowboard pants, jacket and thermals in the Good Sammys collection bin a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: seemore
Mamabear

Which bin I will track it down?.

Seemore

lol
I will see her today or tomorrow to firm up whether she is coming for 5 or 3 days on our girls trip - so will ask if she has dumped it in or not. If not I will grab it and if the size matches you can have it.

In fact - if your kids are in sizes that my kids have outgrown I might be able to lend you some gear for your trip. But if they are the same size you are outta luck coz we are gonna be in j-land at the same time.

Get you PMs turned on my asking SJForums nicely, and you can let me know what sizes you are after. If I can locate any that are being given away, or sold off cheap I will let you know.