Not saying that the way the discussion has evolved is a bad thing. Just find it amusing how things turn. Sort of like the conversations around a barby with a few cold beers and some burnt snags.

One minute we're contemplating the fate of the said snags and the next we are solving the problems of the world.

Should we stop drinking and eat the snags???? or should we keep drinking and forget about the snags????????? So many questions.

John.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact of the matter is I don't want to work at all. I would rather spend my time fishing, surfing, diving, snowboarding and drinking beer. In order to do that, I have to work hard now and earn as much coin as I can. As I've said, I love my life but I don't like my job. Is that so uncommon? If my job didn't pay well then I wouldn't do it but I'm not going to shy away from it because it involves massive hours and a high degree of stress.

I would also like to do those things and I too only work out of necessity, but I've found that (at least at the moment) my current job has a nice balance to it, short hours, enough money to live in relative comfort and none of the stress that come with working crazy long working hours.

I disagree somewhat. I think money does equate to happiness. At the end of the day, most people who can spend time skiing in Japan are definitely "privileged" in my books and have access to more money than the vast majority of human beings.

Try telling someone in the 3rd World that "money doesn't equal happiness" when that person's struggling to feed his family and trying to live a semblance of life with some self respect.

I think the saying that best describes that Trip is:

"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a huge great big yacht so you can sail right up and damn near touch it"

The point is people require money to purchase stuff.

First of all the necessities of life.

Once they are taken care of there is 'disposable income' - I think it is this disposable portion we are talking about more than the cash you require to feed the family.

Someone who collects their money and works all day and night x 365 days of the year but doesn't ENJOY it - that's sad. Sometimes ya gotta accept that by enjoying it, you end up earning a little less (coz you are off skiing!) - that's good.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I think the saying that best describes that Trip is:

"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a huge great big yacht so you can sail right up and damn near touch it"

The point is people require money to purchase stuff.
First of all the necessities of life.
Once they are taken care of there is 'disposable income' - I think it is this disposable portion we are talking about more than the cash you require to feed the family.

Someone who collects their money and works all day and night x 365 days of the year but doesn't ENJOY it - that's sad. Sometimes ya gotta accept that by enjoying it, you end up earning a little less (coz you are off skiing!) - that's good.

I know what you're saying Mama; however, some people make sacrifices like working their butts off to provide things like security for family, etc and don't have flash yachts, skiing holidays in Niseko, etc. even though they might be able to afford it. I don't know if I call that "sad." I always believe that those with money need to understand how lucky they are. Even in our relatively privileged Western world, a little humility always goes a long way.
Originally Posted By: Vossy
Having a lot money isn't luck unless that money comes from winning the lotto or something similar.

Sometimes it is. I know some people who have "lucked out" without doing much work. They were just..... lucky.

It all comes down to what makes you happy. If you need a great big yacht or a high end expensive car, or a stupidly expensive watch, a huge house etc, etc then you'll need to earn quite a bit of money to be happy. Luckily I don't need anything like that and in Hokkaido all the big expense stuff that keeps so many in debt for much of their lives, like houses and cars are just stupidly cheap.

tripitaka it used to cost me a lot to ski in Niseko when I came here as a tourist but since selling up everything in Aus and moving here I now get paid to live in the place I used to save all year to come on holiday! I make a lot less money but I'm a hell of a lot happier, especially since an All Mountain season pass is part of my salary package. Doesn't get better than that now does it? party

Originally Posted By: Go Native
It all comes down to what makes you happy. If you need a great big yacht or a high end expensive car, or a stupidly expensive watch, a huge house etc, etc then you'll need to earn quite a bit of money to be happy. Luckily I don't need anything like that and in Hokkaido all the big expense stuff that keeps so many in debt for much of their lives, like houses and cars are just stupidly cheap.
tripitaka it used to cost me a lot to ski in Niseko when I came here as a tourist but since selling up everything in Aus and moving here I now get paid to live in the place I used to save all year to come on holiday! I make a lot less money but I'm a hell of a lot happier, especially since an All Mountain season pass is part of my salary package. Doesn't get better than that now does it? party

And all power to you GN.
Originally Posted By: Go Native

What he ^ said
The dream is to make a living out of what you love doing then it is not really work.
Quote:
The dream is to make a living out of what you love doing then it is not really work.

This.

You've all heard it and thought it is a horrible cliche - but it's so true.

I consider myself so unbelievably lucky that I get paid (well) to do what I would do for free anyway. Seriously, every so often I just sit back and think "how good is this?"

P.S. Tripitaka: regarding your name - I just visited the temple where the sutras are stored from the real life version of the story I'm assuming your name comes from razz
Originally Posted By: wom
Quote:

This.

You've all heard it and thought it is a horrible cliche - but it's so true.

I consider myself so unbelievably lucky that I get paid (well) to do what I would do for free anyway. Seriously, every so often I just sit back and think "how good is this?"

P.S. Tripitaka: regarding your name - I just visited the temple where the sutras are stored from the real life version of the story I'm assuming your name comes from razz

I hear you Wom. Doing what you love is great, but even if you don't love what you do, I think you can get satisfaction from it. It's all a state of mind.

I took my name from the Monkey Magic show. Tripitaka was the most peaceful pilgrim who always wanted to help.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: Gtrain
I think it is worth remembering "sophisticated investors" caused the GFC in the first place. Before anyone says it was mum and dad with easy credit it was the banks who supplied the easy credit packaged the debts together in bundles and sold them on to other investment groups. The only reason it didn't happen earlier is the sub prime debt laws of the 30's were removed/modified in the US during the Bush administration.

The biggest banks in the US and around the world paid top dollar for their sophisticated investors and it took unsophisticated governments to save their ass. Sophisticated investors just like most people didn't see it coming.

You've confused investors with institutional instruments rated by bent agencies.

It's OK. I am confused myself! lol smile
Originally Posted By: tripitaka
I disagree somewhat. I think money does equate to happiness. At the end of the day, most people who can spend time skiing in Japan are definitely "privileged" in my books and have access to more money than the vast majority of human beings.

Try telling someone in the 3rd World that "money doesn't equal happiness" when that person's struggling to feed his family and trying to live a semblance of life with some self respect.

You're right and the problem is "diminishing marginal returns". In simple terms, the more you have to start with, the less any extra will mean. A simple bicycle to someone with no transport will mean much more than a $100,000 car to someone with a car already. An extra $100 a year means more to someone on a dollar a day to someone on $30,000 a year.

I think its why we have so much psychologically driven advertising. You don't have to convince people with nothing to buy things, but you do when they already live in relative comfort. I would disagree in your example of money equating to happiness in that some of those who ski in Japan will still be envious of their neighbours with the new conservatory/pool, live-in maid, plastic boobs, or whatever. You're only as happy as you want to be.