• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Vossy
I'm trying to live the dream. The problem is, the dream seems to change each week. I need a second or maybe a third job to achieve it.

lol
I hear ya Vossy!!

But at least we are working hard and striving toward stuff with passion and excitement. I would hate to be plodding away in a job I hated with no real reason for being there other than it's what I was supposed to be doing...
Sometimes having the dream (and resetting the dream every now and again) is just as exciting as actually having ACHIEVED the dream. Ya gotta have a reason to get up in the morning.

Well I'm living in probably the snowiest town on the planet, I have a great wife and beautiful little daughter, I have no financial concerns at all and like my job as much as I've liked any job I've ever had.

I'm really starting to run out of new dreams to achieve! biggrin

Well you are lucky. I hate my job and am seriously considering a career change. These 105hr weeks are starting to wear me down at a rapid rate. Working in a area of a country that is on the verge of being third world certainly doesn't help either. The only thing keeping me coming back are my 2 week breaks at home on the Gold Coast and, at the moment, the rediculous pay cheque.

Anyone got any available work going at the moment smile

The dream does not have to be expensive here in Japan. Living is cheap and there are bargains still available. I love my job, my life, and my environment. I meet hundreds of great people during the season and I get to spend plenty of time on the mountain doing what I love.

My dream is expensive no matter where you are in the world. Buying a house big enough to anchor a 150ft luxury boat out the back isn't cheap. Especially when you have your own personal island, ski lodge, wave pool, race car team and brewery to manage and maintain.

But good on you for living your dream smile

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Well I'm living in probably the snowiest town on the planet, I have a great wife and beautiful little daughter, I have no financial concerns at all and like my job as much as I've liked any job I've ever had.
I'm really starting to run out of new dreams to achieve! biggrin

being someone else? lol

That aint my dream though.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
I guess some of us have dreams which are a little more achievable. Easier to find happiness that way! lol

I love this philosophy biggrin
And you can have multiple dreams, and be living one dream, while dreaming of another piece of happiness and luxury....

Now that I am beyond the big 4-oh and had a few close calls with my health my ideology has changed. You gotta be happy where you are - or make changes ASAP. No point saying 'one day', 'when I have..' etc etc and hanging around in misery - tomorrow is an unknown - it might never come. LIVE each day as if it were your last while still having great expectations for the future.

I agree with you Mamabear. Although, in most cases, sacrifices are required to make considerable gains. Being under the age of 30, I am currently putting in the hard yards so I can retire early and not have to struggle as I get older. If that means working huge hours overseas when I'm younger then so be it. If I continue with what I'm presently doing, I should be retired by the time I'm 40. I am will ing to put career hapiness on the backburner for now in order to enjoy personal life in the future. That is the sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Here Here Mamabear. Being the same as you hitting the big 39 + 1 and currently dealing with my health YOU CAN NOT TAKE YOUR MONEY WITH YOU.

Vossy take it from me you can strive and bust your a*** for your retirement and then one day you don't feel well go to the doctor and your world can be turned upside down and all the money in the world is not going to help.

I have had several very very dear friends (25, 27, 32) die very early in their precious lives so I guess that is why I have always lived for the day. You never know what is around the corner.

Ah so true snowhuntress! [high 5 girl]

Obviously there is taking it to the extreme and using that philosophy to excuse laziness....that is not what snowhuntress and I are talking about here.

Vossy we did similar to you - worked real hard when we were young (and still do) with a view to retirement at 40. Now we are at 40 we are not ready to retire - at least psychologically. But we do make sure we take damn fine holidays regularly.

Career happiness comes in many forms Vossy. You can do a job that is 'work', not pleasurable - but yet get career happiness from the achievements within and the dosh earnt... Papa did 'fill in' jobs working for Coles and independent grocers in Fruit and Vegies while he worked out 'what he wanted to be when he grew up'....he ended up owning one of the biggest Fruit and Veg wholesalers in WA, built from the ground up - that wasn't the dream - but it IS the dream if you understand my meaning. 20 years ago he never would have thought he would be in F&V but now he loves it!

Don't get me wrong ladies, I totally agree with you. I don't like my job but I love my life! I work 30 days straight (15hrs per day)in Papua New Guinea but then I fly home for 15 days break. I get to see family and friends and live a semi normal life while at home. Although, I have to leave my phone on in case something goes wrong at work and I have to return so suppose I'm not really on break at all.

Snowhuntress, I'm sorry for the loss of your friends at such a young age. I just keep telling myself "that won't happen to me" and I sem to going ok so far.

Instinct is good until you make the wrong decision because you didn't consider the outcomes of your actions. I would prefer to know where I'm going and what I'm doing rather than "just go with the flow". Everyone has to have a plan. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree.

Mamabear, I consider career happiness to be enjoying what you do for work. Being successful at what you do doesn't always make it enjoyable. I had a dream, went to uni for quite a long time (5 1/2 years) landed my "dream job" but then realised it wasn't what I thought it would be. So, it has changed from "the dream" to "the reality". I will continue to do it though as I won't find a job in Australia, with my current qualifications, that has the same financial benefits. Thsi might be a huge generalisation but, the people that say "money isn't everything" genarally don't have much of it or the capacity to earn much of it. Those who do, typically don't have that mentality. That's not to say money should come before everything though.

Originally Posted By: Vossy
Instinct is good until you make the wrong decision because you didn't consider the outcomes of your actions. I would prefer to know where I'm going and what I'm doing rather than "just go with the flow". Everyone has to have a plan. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree.

Mamabear, I consider career happiness to be enjoying what you do for work. Being successful at what you do doesn't always make it enjoyable. I had a dream, went to uni for quite a long time (5 1/2 years) landed my "dream job" but then realised it wasn't what I thought it would be. So, it has changed from "the dream" to "the reality". I will continue to do it though as I won't find a job in Australia, with my current qualifications, that has the same financial benefits. Thsi might be a huge generalisation but, the people that say "money isn't everything" genarally don't have much of it or the capacity to earn much of it. Those who do, typically don't have that mentality. That's not to say money should come before everything though.

i think you are being very harsh there by saying those who say "money isn't everything" don't have the capacity to earn it. For some people material things and having bundles of cash come waaay down the list to health and general happiness. Neither person is wrong, its just different strokes for different folks! I don't earn a lot fo money (I'm an ALT), sure I would love to have loadsa cash BUT I don't have the appetite to put in crazy hours per week in a job that would provide me with that money so i know that I'm never gonna be that rich guy. I earn enough right now to have a comfortable life, a nice home and I have loads of free time to spend with those that I love. At this point in my life I'm more than happy with my lot. thats not to say that situations won't change and I'll have to make some concessions. My dad chased the money all his life when we were young and he hated it, he is most happy now in the job that he does, working with kids from a difficult social background, where everything is about helping these kids and not about puling in the money

I used to earn a 6 figure salary and was probably never more stressed or unhappy in my life. I now earn less than I have ever earned in any other job and couldn't be much happier. Certainly in my experience making lots of money doesn't equate to happiness.