• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 Mill JPY

Works out at only $500,000 AU

That seems cheap.

Considering accom is $6000/week at peak you only have to stay there every year for 83 years and it's paid for it self.

lol

The first year it's open they're offering a 20% discount. I think I paid about $1500(AUD) for 7 nights accom in a 2 bedroom including all mountain lift pass and snowboard hire. I reckon that's reasonable.

Looks pretty nice. Can't wait to get there.

I'm getting to Niseko on the 21st December and leaving on the 29th and spending a week in Tokyo for New Year. I booked my accom at the Vale about 6 months ago so that may be why it was cheap.

When you say exspensive what do you mean???

No porkies here mate.

The entire package of return airfares from Brisbane, transfers to Niseko, accom at the Vale, ski pass, snowboard hire, 6 nights accom in Tokyo was $4300. My friend manages a flight centre store so she may have given us a cheaper deal or something perhaps. Dunno mate.

How much are you paying to stay at the Vale?

I went directly through them

2Bed 2Bath for 10 nights $6000 just for accom.

(Staying in V206A I think)

Then we realised the dates were wrong and they wanted to charge an additional $1500. But we sorted it out after speaking to Jonathon.

Originally Posted By: Vossy
Are the lines at the lifts really that bad? I thought Niseko was relatively quiet?

Seemore, I take it that the 6k is for 2 people??? If so, 3k isn't too steep for 10 nights.
lol
No Vossy.
In the past I have been gobsmacked by how FEW people are ever waiting in a queue.

But there has been some signifigant development in that area recently, and that pairticular lift - a pairs lift (with no safety bar if I recall correctly) will be the starter lift from MOST of the village in the morning. So there has been some discussion about how big the queues will be there at opening time just to get everyone up the mountain.

Unlikely I will be riding the family run other than on the run home at the end of the day generally - so once we are UP and AWAY there will not likely be a drama.

Actually - on that topic....

I wonder if with the advent of big developments at the base of the family pair lift - and the fact that a lot of people will be using it as an 'access' lift, who may otherwise not have really used it in the past (being such an easy run)....

...if they will consider upgrading that lift to a High Speed Quad....

confused

Who would have thought this project would have been possible after the global financial crisis and the property crash? Personally I wouldn't pay those prices in Japan but I guess this is targeted towards the Australian market where property investment is still seen as a no-brainer.

Not just the Aussie market Tripitaka...lots of people out there looking for the "International Resort standard, base of the lifts, ski in ski out luxury accommodation" ....and prepared to pay BIG DOLLARS for it.

It will be big dollars (Yen, Pound, Euro - whatever) no matter what country it was located in.

If I lived close (a drive to..) snow then I would probably go often, and would stay somewhere reasonably inexpensive so that I could go often. I would know my way around really well, and so driving a little bit wouldn't worry me. It would be all in my own currency, and brands of food etc that I am accustomed to - so I would not be likely to be keen to drop big $$ on a meal.

But - if I am traveling internationally to somewhere I am unfamiliar to see and experience new things, and my main objective is to be on the snow - then I will pay thru the nose to stay NICE AND CLOSE, and get as much slope time as possible. And I will cough up a weeks worth of grocery money to get me a meal fit for a king that I could not get at home (read here: a really good Kobe Beef Teppanyaki).

It's a good job ski resorts cater for all people's huh?

If I was going to Niseko, it would be one of the places I would consider. Would be looking for a modern but traditional onsen ryokan type place actually but they don't seem to be thick on the ground there!

Wow, mamabear, you are really living it up thumbsup Yes, food is major important. I worked with lots of Japanese and most of them after a week in foreign land miss Japanese food, and the compromise is chinese or Italian which can usually be found.

During my stay in Europe, whether in winter or summer, food is the reason we might come back and stay at the particular accommodation (and the presence of a bath) Of course it's nice to have a separate bedroom from the living area, (and we will choose that within budget) but food is it, or otherwise we will cook on our own (apartments).

But the investments such us the Vale can only be made if you really have a lot of money, or you have lots of brothers and sisters who are into the same thing, or someone who is retiring with lots and want a maintenance free snow lifestyle, or someone who want to take into account the larger depreciating figures on a new apartment property, etc...

ski-in-out is easy, yes. and if it's not that I choose somewhere it's not too far walk from the bus stop. Isn't it easy when you have snowboarding boots.

In Europe, the base station for the gondola has lockers so you can leave skis and boots.

Originally Posted By: Vossy
Are the lines at the lifts really that bad? I thought Niseko was relatively quiet?

lol oh, OK relatively quiet when compared to Aus I suppose that's what you mean.

The Ace family is a very slow moving lift. There are countless kids and their instructors using it. In the morning, the hotels and chalets along the run will also digorge their guests down to the Ace Family. Hence it will be quite congested. Guranteed. But less so in the afternoon.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Not just the Aussie market Tripitaka...lots of people out there looking for the "International Resort standard, base of the lifts, ski in ski out luxury accommodation" ....and prepared to pay BIG DOLLARS for it.

I don't know Mama, I've never been to Niseko and I don't really know what kind of people go there. In the case of Hakuba, I think that high-end luxury accommodation experience is limited.

If it's not the Aussies in Niseko lapping up this luxury, who is it? The nouveau riche Russians and Chinese?
Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Who would have thought this project would have been possible after the global financial crisis and the property crash? Personally I wouldn't pay those prices in Japan but I guess this is targeted towards the Australian market where property investment is still seen as a no-brainer.

No it's not. Australian buyers had already gotten in. Alot have already gotten out and made some.

I don't know Mama, I've never been to Niseko and I don't really know what kind of people go there. In the case of Hakuba, I think that high-end luxury accommodation experience is limited.

Which is why the people who like to stay in that kind of accommodation in Val d'Isere, Whistler, Zermatt, Apsen etc etc - whatever their Nationality - will be more likely to choose Niseko for their first trip to Japan - because the accommodation is of a type they know, understand, trust and enjoy.

If it's not the Aussies in Niseko lapping up this luxury, who is it? The nouveau riche Russians and Chinese?

Certainly plenty of Chinese last I was there, yep quite a lot of Aussie - but I also heard many British and Canadian accents - and there were plenty of languages being spoken on the hill I just couldn't pick... Be great if there was some records of tourism/nationality etc - I know our tourism board here in Aus keeps those statistics to help better promote Western Australia - and all tourism operators can access the information.

Any of the Niseko locals know if records such as this are kept?

Mainland Chinese are not buying into Niseko. They would be very foolish if they did.

They have ploughed their unwanted money into HK's luxury housing market and stocks. Bastards.

Unwanted as in unwanted by us.